The Book Thief by Markus Zusak | Teen Ink

The Book Thief by Markus Zusak

By sithukorale GOLD, Mississauga, Other
sithukorale GOLD, Mississauga, Other

"Better well done than well said"
Benjamin Franklin

Finding your favorite book in the world is a rare occurrence. But after reading The Book Thief by Markus Zusak you might have found that book! This story is of a young German girl, Liesel, who is sent to live with two strangers- Hans and Rosa Hubermann- during World War II. The key figures in her new life are Rosa, a woman who on the outside is coarse and terrifying, but on the inside hides an enormous heart: Hans, the serene painter and musician who teaches Liesel to read and becomes her new father: Rudy, a boy whose dream is to run like Jesse Owens: and Max, a Jewish man who seeks refuge in the Hubermann's basement. It is a story about human resilience, love, and the importance of words. The story, with its tragic conclusion, is wonderful in itself, but it is the way it is written that makes the book a hundred times more beautiful. In fact, the book is narrated by the darkly humorous, wise, and even compassionate Death! It's impossible to describe the essence of this wonderful work. The Book Thief is a gem of a book that must be read.