Uncle Tom's Cabin by Harriet Beecher Stowe | Teen Ink

Uncle Tom's Cabin by Harriet Beecher Stowe

By JasmineSidhu SILVER, Valencia, California
JasmineSidhu SILVER, Valencia, California

Uncle Tom’s Cabin is a morally invigorating novel that not only manages to capture the reader’s heart but puts them in the perspective of a slave. In my view, the book is immensely impactful because Harriet Beecher Stowe is able to evoke strong emotions in the reader and compel them to imagine situations that are too grotesque and licentious to even conceive possible. The book revolves around the trials and tribulations of Uncle Tom- a black man bound by the shackles of slavery. Tom is regarded as one of the most heroic and noble characters of American literature because of his endurance and toleration. Even though he is separated from his family and sold several times, he remains harmonious and lacks repugnance. Uncle Tom’s Cabin is far from a boring farm book, on the contrary it is entertaining and eye-opening. Tom’s sacrifice and suffering evokes pain and an antipathy towards slavery in the reader. The novel has been heavily extolled and is regarded as the most politically impacting book in American history, as well as one of the major proponents of the Civil War. It is not only a literary masterpiece but a worldwide bestseller – selling the most copies in the 1800’s after the Bible. After reading this book Americans, for the first time, were able to see the atrociousness of slavery and the parameters of their actions. For the first time, blacks were portrayed as human beings who feel pain, love, and humility. For the first time, because of Harriet Beecher Stowe, a slave’s voice was heard and recognized. Once you read this book not only will you have wept your eyes out, but you will have become a better person. Anyone and everyone should approach this enlightening, and disillusioning drama.

This book will not only captivate you but leave you a better person.