Waiter Rant by Steve Dublanica | Teen Ink

Waiter Rant by Steve Dublanica

By Goofy GOLD, Littleton, Colorado
Goofy GOLD, Littleton, Colorado

Cooking Up a Tale

The New York Times bestseller Waiter Rant by Steve Dublanica was a new experience in my non-fiction collection. Its pages are filled to the fullest extent with such a description that you can put yourself behind the eyes of the author. The story like structure of Waiter Rant keeps your eyes strung to the page as if a tiny chain held your head in place. The surprising action and drama that takes place is only challenged by the surprise of the reader.

This tale is only intensified when you can relate to his job as a waiter. As one of the lucky ones I was able to place myself in most of the situations he experienced and compare his actions to what I would have done. This book has also changed my mind and opinions on multiple things in the real world. Ever since reading the book I have not been able to act the same in a restaurant. Not only that, but I make mental notes in my head of how my parents and sister behave and what this makes the waiter think of us. I apologize for things and clean up any mess I make. I watch what my parents tip and add a bit of cash when they seem a little light. I observe how severs act around each other and am immediately able to spot the managers and highly ranked officials. When my parents complain about the service I suggest reasons for the difficulties to make sure our waiter gets a good tip and that we are welcome back. After reading this book I have learned a lot and have a lot more respect for the hostess, chef, waiter, busboys, and managers.

Reading this book I have looked back at things I have done and thought about how that could have changed someone’s life, for better or worse. This book keeps you engaged in the story, through comedy you find in surprising places. He describes a place of disgust in such detail; it leaves you wanting to check each and every restaurant yourself. Steve Dublanica tells of the unknown costumers you never wanted to know about. What happens under the table of trashed costumers? After reading this you’ll know. This book helped me understand and appreciate the army of restaurant staff that packs the world.