Open: Your Mind To This Book by Andre Agassi | Teen Ink

Open: Your Mind To This Book by Andre Agassi

By JSelindh123 BRONZE, Littleton, Colorado
JSelindh123 BRONZE, Littleton, Colorado

OPEN: Your Mind To This Book

Although Andre Agassi doesn’t make his living as an author, in his book, Open, he takes an extraordinary leap from former tennis player to a bestselling author. In his autobiography, Andre Agassi gives us every little detail dating back to his life as a seven year old kid who hated tennis to a thirty-six year old man who won eight grand slams and couldn’t live without tennis. He starts out hitting balls on the ball machine which he named, “The Monster”, in his backyard tennis court. Andre’s father made him hit 1 million balls in a year and every single day he would have to hit. Andre’s father eventually thought Andre’s tennis skills were going nowhere so he shipped him off to Bolletteri’s Tennis Academy. While he was there he would have 8 hours at a school nearby then go back to practice for 8 hours until one day he rebelled and the owner of the tennis academy lets him drop out of school in the ninth grade. Andre starts playing professionally and ends up winning eight grand slam titles. It all leads up to his final tennis match as a professional where his playing and the farewell make you instantly apart of his life forever. As you read this book you feel every single bit of emotion that he feels. Important people in his life that help motivate and push Andre make you want to be one of them pushing him along and enjoying the ride. While Andre struggles with a failed marriage he ends up meeting the girl of his dreams and they end up married with two children. As Andre’s final days as being a professional tennis player come into play the whole audience will be rooting him on for another chance at victory. The road is coming to an end as Andre relives every moment with the people who have helped him along. Gil, Nick, his father, his mother, Philly, Perry, Jim, Brooke, Pete, Steffi, Rita, Tammy, and Andre himself. As you flip to the last page in this breathtaking book you feel proud that a boy like this grew up to be something and who gives back to communities. I recommend this book to people between the ages of 12- 100 years old and definitely to readers who love tennis and love being involved in an influential life.

Simon123 said...
Insightful review. Clearly captures the intensity of a storied life.

alate-family said...
Wow - what a great review!  I am impressed.  Think I will read the book :)