Nick & Norah's Infinite Playlist by Rachel Cohn & David Levithan | Teen Ink

Nick & Norah's Infinite Playlist by Rachel Cohn & David Levithan

October 10, 2011
By TheDuck GOLD, Braselton, Georgia
TheDuck GOLD, Braselton, Georgia
11 articles 12 photos 77 comments

Favorite Quote:
“Raids, bullets, crime... no problem. A missing duster? Crisis."-The Last Sacrifice
"If we stand for nothing, we'll fall for anything." -All Time Low


Nick & Norah’s Infinite Playlist by Rachel Cohn and David Levithan has to be one of my all-time favorite books ever. Nick, a punk from Hoboken, and Norah, a goody two-shoes trying to keep up with her wild friend, Caroline, meet at a club and end up having the time of their life.
Nick is playing a gig with his queercore band, whose name is irrelevant since it changes so often, and sees his ex-girlfriend, who he is far from over, with some new guy. Freaking out, he spots this girl, who looks severely out of place, and says the only line one could say at a time like that, “I know this is going to sound strange, but would you mind being my girlfriend for the next five minutes?” What else could Norah do, but agree? This very moment begins the whirlwind adventure of falling in an out of love more often than the average cheesy romantic comedy. The only hitch is that Norah’s not-so-friend, Tris, spots them and comes over, much to Norah’s dismay. When Norah finds out that the guy she is lip-locked with is Tris’s ex, the Nick that wrote Tris songs and made her awesome mix tapes, she falls hard.
Through evil ex-girlfriends and ex-boyfriends, Cure songs, transvestite bars, and borscht, Nick and Norah have the time of their lives and find themselves getting over the past. This book is dripping with wit and pierogie filling. It is one book no one should pass up reading.
Rachel Cohn and David Levithan’s writing styles couldn’t be more different, and they couldn’t be more perfectly paired. With Levithan’s hilariously cynical views and Cohn’s not-quite-pessimistic outlook, the characters couldn’t be more different, and more alike. Cohn and Levithan are both quick witted and exceedingly word savvy.
New York is the perfect place to set this crazy, romance-filled, and wild escapade. I thought the setting was brilliant, from some unusual bars, a Korean grocery store, and 24-hour Ukrainian diners, the setting couldn’t more excellent. It made the story even more captivating.
My favorite line from the book has to be one I previously mentioned. When Nick says, “I know this is going to sound strange, but would you mind being my girlfriend for the next five minutes? (pg. 8)” It was the perfect way to start all of the madness that ensues. Norah’s response has to be a deal closer for me. “I answer NoMo’s question by putting my hand around his neck and pulling his face down to mine. (pg. 12-13)” The thing is, you could see some crazy teens do this. It is hilarious how out there this book is and how possible it could really be.
This is a book not to be missed. It will leave you completely speechless at some moments, and have you laughing until you can’t breathe at some moments. I’d highly recommend it to a more mature audience, due to some mature content.


The author's comments:
I <3 Nick and Norah! To check out more, go to www.nickandnorah.com!