Me, the Missing, and the Dead | Teen Ink

Me, the Missing, and the Dead

October 3, 2011
By Awsomebands BRONZE, Hartville, Ohio
Awsomebands BRONZE, Hartville, Ohio
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Me, the Missing, and the Dead won Guardian Children's Prize in the United Kingdom under the title Finding Violet Park. Lucas is a teenager whose dad left when he was young. Violet is a ghost, who teams up with Lucas to help him find his dad. Lucas helps Violet find peace in death. Teenage readers who enjoy reading mysteries containing supernatural elements with a touch of humor will enjoy reading Me, the Missing, and the Dead.

Reading this novel is an enjoyable way to spend a cold, rainy day. This book transports you inside the story. I felt I was right there beside Lucas as everything unfolded. At one point, Lucas made a list in his head of the good reasons to make friends with a dead lady in an urn and by reading this book you can find out what those reasons are.

This story will keep you on the edge and hold your attention. Lucas ponders thoughts such as places where he would like to be when he is dead and why. Lucas says "I met Violet after she died, but it didn't stop me from getting to know her. What I keep trying to prove is that I'm not as insane as I'm sounding." I find the things Lucas thinks of to be peculiar for someone our age.

This book will make you laugh and make you cry. Lucas was deeply hurt when his mom took his dad's possessions to the dump to get rid of his memory around the house. Lucas went to see his girlfriend, Martha, when he was upset. Martha said "Lucas was clinging to all his dad's stuff because he didn't have enough good memories of him to fill the spaces." I believe that Lucas views this stuff as a substitute for his father.

I would undoubtedly recommend teenage readers who enjoy reading mysteries containing supernatural elements with a touch of humor read Me, the Missing, and the Dead. I found myself mesmerized by the storyline. This award winning novel is definitely worthy of your time to read.