Paradise Rules by Jimmy Gleacher | Teen Ink

Paradise Rules by Jimmy Gleacher

By oriGINAlity GOLD, Williamsburg, Michigan
oriGINAlity GOLD, Williamsburg, Michigan

If you follow the crowd you might get lost in it.

Gates isn't a bad guy, he's just been in a lot of bad situations during the past two years of his all but normal teenage existence. Jimmy Gleacher entertains readers with a hilarious coming-of-age tale staring a very dysfunctional cast of characters in his third book, Paradise Rules.

Hustling wealthy golfers while caddying for an exclusive club, with a mother who's on the brink of another nervous breakdown, and girlfriend pushing to go "all the way", seventeen year old Gates is under a lot of pressure... but that's just the surface of his many intriguing dilemmas. He's a problem-riddled-can't-help-but-love-him kind of kid who could use a little direction to say the least. But that's what makes Paradise Rules such a great read! There are plenty of laugh-out-loud moments throughout the story. Gleacher does a great job creating awkward, but hilarious, situations that will captive teenagers and adults alike. While some aspects of the story are at times uncomfortable and make you want to pull your hair out you're enticed to continue Gates story hoping that by the end of his tale ANYTHING is better than his initially hopeless circumstances!

Overall Paradise Rules is a funny and wild adventure in teen fiction. From the Caddyshack reminiscent country club to the twisted relationships Gates encounters, I found Gleacher's dark humored writing to be perfect break from today's overly polished teen literature. Raw, insightful and full of wit Paradise Rules was an excellent example of a racy teen read with a whole lot of heart.
flag