Last Chance For Paris by Sylvia Mcnicoll | Teen Ink

Last Chance For Paris by Sylvia Mcnicoll

July 28, 2011
By KayleeRae PLATINUM, Arvada, Colorado
KayleeRae PLATINUM, Arvada, Colorado
34 articles 49 photos 46 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Either write something worth doing or do something worth writing."


They say not to judge a book by its cover, yet that’s exactly what I did when I first laid my eyes on Last Chance For Paris by Sylvia Mcnicoll. It’s a beautiful cover that explains most of the story in one picture: the woods, a river, flip flops, and a small strawberry tattoo. I was immediately intrigued and carried the book home from the library like a baby in my hands.
I began reading immediately. Sylvia Mcnicoll has a very descriptive writing style, for she describes the surroundings and setting more than thoughts and dialogue. Since this novel takes place in the woods, the surroundings are very important to capture correctly: a feat that Mcnicoll achieved wonderfully. It can also be noted that the pure wilderness of it all is so breathtakingly described that it makes me desire a camping trip.
Not only does Mcnicoll capture the setting, but she also adds quirky and fun features to each character. They aren’t all typical people. The main character Zanna—as if her name isn’t unique enough—is a potently city girl stuck inside a potently country-like world. The lost and abandoned feelings of Zanna can be easily related to from many angles. Though she is consistently complaining, she realizes the beautiful and fun, too. Like all humans, Zanna is a constant mash-up of emotions, not just one big block of annoyance.
Though the story only takes place over a few days, it is extremely eventful and exciting. Immediately upon arrival, a wolf pup is found under the porch, and he sticks around the family. Zanna and her twin brother sign up for a volunteer program with one of the forest rangers, twining themselves into loads of mischief along the way; the broody attitude of Zanna and the peppy mood of Martin clash hilariously to make them a fun set of twins.
Last Chance For Paris is a humorous twist on reality, family, and danger, and I recommend the novel to all readers who enjoy a stay-up-till-three-reading adventure.


The author's comments:
Wonderful, wonderful. Go read it now!!