The Boy in the Striped Pajamas by John Boyne | Teen Ink

The Boy in the Striped Pajamas by John Boyne

July 19, 2011
By Jean16Bean PLATINUM, Batavia, New York
Jean16Bean PLATINUM, Batavia, New York
21 articles 0 photos 26 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Writing is not hard. Just get paper and pencil, sit down and write as it occurs to you. The writing is easy-it's the occurring that's hard."-Stephen Leacock


Nine-year-old Bruno is the son of a Nazi officer, so when his father is promoted, Bruno, along with his parents and older sister, is forced to relocate. His new house is quite close to a concentration camp, and he forms a good friendship with an imprisoned Jewish boy, Shmuel. Their friendship progresses to build up to a horrifying climax that will always stick in the reader’s mind.

This book was amazing. I thought it was brilliant to write a book about the horrors of concentration camps, not from the view of someone living in one, but from the view of someone who knows very little about the,. Bruno’s innocence and the fact that he is unaware of the horrors Shmuel and many others were facing made it even more heart wrenching.

This book should be read by everyone at some point, especially fans of historical fiction. However, even though it is written through the eyes of a nine-year-old, it is for people over the age of fourteen. It could be very upsetting for anyone younger. Some people might be interested to know that it was made into a movie, which is surprisingly accurate and very good.