Dreams From My Father by Barack Obama This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

One of the greatest puzzles each of us faces is “who am I?” The answer defines us and our personality. When we know who we are, we can live life to the fullest and head in the direction of our dreams. ­Often, though, the answer is lost or hard to find. Lost identity is the theme of Barack Obama's first book, Dreams from My ­Father.

“Perceptive and wise, this book will tell you something about yourself whether you are black or white,” says Civil Rights activist Marian Wright Edelman. Indeed, under its surface lies the idea that everyone should realize their potential. On the surface, however, Obama eloquently describes his life in great detail. His writing makes you feel you are looking through the eyes of the son of a black African father and a white American mother.

The book begins in New York, where Obama finds out that his father, a man he met only once, has died. This sparks a journey from his childhood in Hawaii to Indonesia, through his high school and college years all over America, to Kenya, where he learns about the father he never knew.

As the presidential election approaches, political opinions grow stronger. No matter your view on the election, Dreams from My Father is a fulfilling read. This New York Times best-seller was written before Obama's political career began, so it is not just another politically motivated book. It is much, much more. Dreams from My Father is a memoir about Obama's efforts to belong in two completely different worlds, but ultimately recognizing that he fits into neither.

If you dislike reading, this book could change your outlook on reading and the world in general. It is an inspiring, beautifully written novel. Dreams from My Father is a book for people of all races, political parties, and beliefs.

Joeypoppy said...
Sept. 19, 2012 at 9:28 am:
the book review was amazing and that book sound's good and everyone should read it

Becca17 said...
Feb. 12, 2012 at 8:17 pm:
Well, I'd love to give this book a read

ghsghsfhgsf said...
May 22, 2011 at 6:48 pm:
Everbody should read this to better know our own president! Very awesome book im reading now for school

Linds said...
May 22, 2011 at 6:46 pm:
Obama has such an amazing background! All these facts I never knew, like his father being a tribal cheif! Who woulda known! Everybody should take the chance to get to know OUR PRESIDENT better :))))

Lifetime said...
Nov. 29, 2010 at 9:09 am:
that is not right!! never call someone dumb just to make yourself feel better... and that is what your doing and u r appliing that you r only calling him dumb based on the fact u are a republican...

zhek-16 said...
Nov. 24, 2010 at 8:08 am:
It would be interesting to read that book!

volleyballgurl535 said...
Nov. 17, 2010 at 11:26 am:
hey there id like obama:) I am republican!!!! he is dumb

.DimplesThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. replied...
Sept. 19, 2012 at 7:09 pm :
Im a republican as well, but it doesnt mean Obama dumb. . .

SusanA said...
this book was wordy but in a good way! I still managed to get to grasps with it

zoey2244 said...
Really good book review :)

Escaped said...
Feb. 12, 2010 at 12:56 pm:
This looks really good(:

livingyibbs said...
this book seemed very wordy to me and he just kept repeating the same thing over and over again. Im sorry but i just dont think that this book is as good as everyone is saying it is.

UnKnoWn said...
I would like to read this book. :)

eddsworldrocks said...
Barack Rocks Aw man another nap attack! zzzzzzz

screenname! said...
I'm reading it for school...I'm excited!

Kate. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Nov. 3, 2009 at 7:42 pm :
You're in for a treat!

SeaRose said...
May 27, 2009 at 1:59 am:
I want to read this too! It sounds so beautiful. It's so nice to have a poetic president because, in my lifetime, he's such a first. Very inspiring!

barobamafan2008.09 said...
May 12, 2009 at 1:20 am:
I read this book, it was very touching and the way President Obama wrote this book, made me feel as thou I was telling the story about his life.

susu.ali replied...
Oct. 21, 2010 at 2:31 pm :
i'm reading this book now...and i totally agree with you it feels as if i know obama, and understand what he's experiencing. a book you can never forget.

SarahSweet said...
Sept. 30, 2008 at 3:08 am:
I really want to read this one. It seems like a beautiful book, great review.