Controvery Erupts... | Teen Ink

Controvery Erupts...

Controversy erupts throughout the play, debating whether or not Hamlet is sane or insane. After observing the play, it is clear that Hamlet is completely sane. Hamlet is mourning the death of his father and the fact that his mother married his uncle. It is not insane to act out of character if such an event happens. The majority of Hamlet's so-called insanity is used to conceal his motive: revenge on his father's murderer. Hamlet is not acting out of character or seeing things like insane people would. Hamlet is not lying about seeing his father's Ghost. This is proven when Horatio, Marcellus, and Bernardo all claim to see the Ghost before Hamlet. All of the evidence given leads to proving that Hamlet is completely sane.

Hamlet is not at all crazy; he is just mentally distraught by his situation. While Hamlet is mourning is father's death, his mother marries his uncle Claudius, completely sickening Hamlet and causing him emotional stress. Hamlet's situation is incredibly weird and anyone in their right mind would act the same way. Hamlet says, “A bloody deed-almost as bad, good mother, as kill a king and marry with his brother” (3.4.34-35) which implies that there is nothing worse than what his mother did to him. Hamlet is upset because he thinks his mother should be mourning his father's death; when in fact she is sleeping with his brother. This situation causes mental confusion and the fact that Hamlet can stay semi-sane is astonishing.

Hamlet is acting like a madman to conceal his motive; revenge for his father's murderer. Hamlet says “How strange or odd some'er I bear myself (As I perchance hereafter shall think meet to put an antic disposition on)” revealing that he will act bizarre in the future. Hamlet is acting this way to make others believe that he is going insane, but in reality he is completely sane. Claudius is Hamlets number one enemy because he murdered Hamlet's father. Hamlet acts completely bizarre around Claudius to cause concerns in his life. Claudius feels that he has to send spies after Hamlet, but this is all a part of Hamlet's plan to get revenge on Claudius. Polonius is one of Claudius' spies who also believes that Hamlet is sane and this is a part of his plan, "Though this be madness, yet there is method in't" (2.2.223-224). Hamlet has Claudius all confused and Claudius does not know if Hamlet is insane or sane.

In Act 1, Hamlet talks to the ghost of his father, King Hamlet. His father tells him that Claudius murdered him and that Hamlet needs to get revenge. Hamlet is not making this ghost up because Horatio, Marcellus, and Bernardo all claim that they have seen the ghost as well. Horatio says, "Before my God, I might not this believe without the sensible and true avouch of mine own eyes." (1.1.66-68) All three men witness the ghost demanding that Hamlet speak alone to it. The three men have also told Hamlet that they will keep the conversation a secret.

Hamlet is not at all insane and as been proven to be completely sane. The majority of his so-called insanity is all part of his motive. Hamlet uses the insanity to keep Claudius unaware of his actual thoughts and plans. Although Hamlet may be a little mentally impaired because of his father's death, he is nowhere close to be considered insane. Hamlet is in his right mind throughout the whole story and the questionable acts he shows are simply his brilliant acting.