Ellen Foster by Kaye Gibbons | Teen Ink

Ellen Foster by Kaye Gibbons

May 1, 2008
By Anonymous

Do you like comedies? Romance? Thrillers? Fast moving works of literature that make you think? If you answered yes then don't read Ellen Foster.


This book documents the journey of Ellen Foster. After the death of her mother, she is left to live with her father, an alcoholic. And because her mother's side does not approve of him, they cast Ellen away in her time of need thinking that she too is trash. The story takes the reader through the steps Ellen must take to overcome all this tragedy.


The story also touches on how the friendship between African Americans and Whites changed after the civil rights movement. Ellen starts the book basically as a bigot, but by the end her friendship with a black girl named Starletta transforms Ellen into a decent person.


Kaye Gibbons tries to evoke many emotions that aren't fully expressed and are difficult to explain. This makes it hard for the reader to connect with the characters.


Ellen Foster is a book that you may need to read more than once to receive its full message. If you are patient enough to dissect it, then I would recommend it completely.