The Old Man and the Sea by Ernest Hemingway | Teen Ink

The Old Man and the Sea by Ernest Hemingway

April 20, 2008
By Anonymous

The novella The Old Man and the Sea was very good. The story is about a old man from a Cuban fishing village that has had very bad fishing luck. He hasn't caught a fish of size in 84 days. His young fishing companion's parents will no longer let him fish with the old man because he catches very few fish. On the eighty fifth day the young boy tell the old man to let him go fishing with him. The old man say's no. The old man goes out to sea hoping to catch a big fish. The old man starts by catching a small tuna witch he uses for bait. He also catches a small Dorado. Then he hooks up on a big marlin. This is the biggest fish he has ever hooked up on. He fights the fish through the night. He eats the Dorado for strength. His hands are cut up form the line but he continues to fight the fish. He is an incredibly brave and strong old man. He finally gets the fish to the boat. He is amazed by the size of it. It is larger the skiff he is in. He harpoons it and ties it up to the side of the boat. He starts back to shore but he is many miles off so it is a long journey. On the way in sharks start to come because of the blood in the water. The old man tries to fight off the fishes. In the process he loses his knife, club, and ruder. The sharks eat more then a quarter of the fish. Most of witch was the good meat. The old man had a very hard time getting the fish to shore because of its size. When the old man finally reached the shore he could hardly make it to his shack. He was so exhausted. When he awoke there was a large crowd down by the fish. The large fish measured 18 feet long. The old man was still exhausted and could barely get up. He was happy that he caught the fish but sad to see most of it go to waste.