The Hippopotamus Marsh by Pauline Gedge

All rebellions have to begin somewhere, so why not begin with a proud Egyptian Prince, a Setiu Pharaoh, a letter and a hippopotamus marsh? Okay, an explanation is definitely in order.

Seqenenra Tao is a proud Egyptian Prince, furious at the Setiu (Hyksos, to modern readers) occupation of Egypt. The Setiu are an old enemy of Egypt and took over in a slow, bloodless invasion that ended with a Setiu becoming Pharaoh. Pharaoh Awoserra Aqenenra Apepa takes great delight in humiliating the proud Tao family, the rightful rulers of Egypt. Seqenenra Tao decides that enough is enough when Apepa ‘requests’ that he drain the marsh near his home where the hippopotami live because they were disturbing his sleep.

Disaster strikes just before Seqenenra leaves with his army to march on Apepa. The attack leaves him lame and grossly disfigured, but he is still determined to regain the Horus Throne for his family. But forces beyond his control are conspiring to make sure the Taos never defeat Apepa. Intrigue, love and betrayal are powerful things and in ‘The Hippopotamus Marsh’, we see just how powerful they really can be.

While ‘The Hippopotamus Marsh’ can be confusing for readers unfamiliar with Egyptian history, they will quickly catch on. Pauline Gedge is a skilled writer who uses vivid imagery and has well-developed, believable characters. ‘The Hippopotamus Marsh’ is an amazing start to the Lord of Two Lands trilogy and leaves readers anxious for the next book, ‘The Oasis.’

Writomania This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Jun. 28, 2011 at 1:57 am:
wow.. the review was pretty great.. this book definitely seems to be a must read..

CarrieAnn13 replied...
Jun. 28, 2011 at 9:02 am :
Thanks, Writomania!  It's a good book, rich with historical details and well-developed characters.  Thanks for taking the time to read my review. :)

PeterAaron said...
Jun. 22, 2011 at 5:37 pm:
Sounds very interesting. Very concise review!

CarrieAnn13 replied...
Jun. 22, 2011 at 7:13 pm :
Thanks, PeterAaron!

Bgeek24 said...
Jun. 21, 2011 at 9:22 am:
This book sounds very interesting and I loved your word choice. This puts my book reveiw to shame. Fantastic.

CarrieAnn13 replied...
Jun. 21, 2011 at 7:12 pm :
Aw, thanks, Bgeek24!  Your book review was excellent as well.

Garnet77 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Jun. 21, 2011 at 1:20 am:
I agree with JoPepper about the opening line. It was great. And the book actually seems really interesting. I've always been interested in Egyptian history, so maybe this'll be a way to expand my knowledge. :)

CarrieAnn13 replied...
Jun. 21, 2011 at 8:51 am :
Thanks, Garnet77!  I really appreciate the feedback. :)

JoPepper said...
Jun. 19, 2011 at 5:05 pm:
I love your opening line it grabs the readers attention!!! Keep writing!!! :))

CarrieAnn13 replied...
Jun. 19, 2011 at 5:12 pm :
Thanks again, JoPepper!  I spent a lot of time crafting that opening line, so I'm glad people think it's interesting.  Thank you so much for reading all of my work!

JoPepper replied...
Jun. 20, 2011 at 9:59 am :
No problem!!!! :D

Tink1350 said...
Jun. 18, 2011 at 5:34 pm:
Great job Carrie. Keep up the good work.

CarrieAnn13 replied...
Jun. 18, 2011 at 5:36 pm :
Thanks, Tink1350!

Sweet_Deceit said...
Jun. 18, 2011 at 4:04 pm:
Wow, this seems like a pretty dog-gone interesting book! At first I thought it sounded confusing, then I thought it sounded witty, and finally I decided it seemed more serious than I had initially given it credit for. Anyway, thanks for reviewing a book you obviously enjoyed. I'll definitely keep an eye out for it!

CarrieAnn13 replied...
Jun. 18, 2011 at 4:16 pm :
Thanks for commenting on my review, Sweet_Deceit!  Truly, it is a good book and I hope you get a chance to read it and enjoy it as much as I did. :)