The Hippopotamus Marsh by Pauline Gedge

All rebellions have to begin somewhere, so why not begin with a proud Egyptian Prince, a Setiu Pharaoh, a letter and a hippopotamus marsh? Okay, an explanation is definitely in order.

Seqenenra Tao is a proud Egyptian Prince, furious at the Setiu (Hyksos, to modern readers) occupation of Egypt. The Setiu are an old enemy of Egypt and took over in a slow, bloodless invasion that ended with a Setiu becoming Pharaoh. Pharaoh Awoserra Aqenenra Apepa takes great delight in humiliating the proud Tao family, the rightful rulers of Egypt. Seqenenra Tao decides that enough is enough when Apepa ‘requests’ that he drain the marsh near his home where the hippopotami live because they were disturbing his sleep.

Disaster strikes just before Seqenenra leaves with his army to march on Apepa. The attack leaves him lame and grossly disfigured, but he is still determined to regain the Horus Throne for his family. But forces beyond his control are conspiring to make sure the Taos never defeat Apepa. Intrigue, love and betrayal are powerful things and in ‘The Hippopotamus Marsh’, we see just how powerful they really can be.

While ‘The Hippopotamus Marsh’ can be confusing for readers unfamiliar with Egyptian history, they will quickly catch on. Pauline Gedge is a skilled writer who uses vivid imagery and has well-developed, believable characters. ‘The Hippopotamus Marsh’ is an amazing start to the Lord of Two Lands trilogy and leaves readers anxious for the next book, ‘The Oasis.’

whitstar27 said...
Good job reviewing this book

CarrieAnn13 replied...
Thank you! :)

musicispassion said...
is history ur fav subject? great review

CarrieAnn13 replied...
I like history a lot, yeah.  I'm not sure if it's my favourite subject, though.

musicispassion replied...
i like english, band and p.e  good job on the review

CarrieAnn13 replied...
I really like English.  But other than that, school is the bane of my existence.

musicispassion replied...
really i actually find it less annoying than being at home i'm surronded my friens and my fav subjects and i get to have alot of fun at school

MidnightFireThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
It sounds like an okay book ... Im not much for history but this summary really showed what happened and left you wondering who will triumph, good job

CarrieAnn13 replied...
Thanks! :)

TwinnBears27 said...
Your summary of the book helps clarify the story, a good aid since you both enjoy the book and seem to like Egyptian history. I think a little more about your own opinion of the book would make this complete. Even so, you did a really good job with this.

CarrieAnn13 replied...
Thanks!  I submitted some new reviews and they're full of opinion, since everyone complains about my lack of opinion.

lilmartz This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Jul. 2, 2011 at 10:01 am
I've never written a book review before so I don't know how much significance my comment has. Nevertheless, I thought it was short and sweet! You gave a brief summary of the book and also stated your opinion on the book. Nice job :)

CarrieAnn13 replied...
Thanks for the feedback!

owkey said...
I love your review :) As everyone else stated your opening line was great. I think the last little blurb could have been longer. Personaly I felt that there was a lot of building up in the first sections, but you don't deliver on it in the last little bit. Good job overall :)

CarrieAnn13 replied...
Thanks for the comment, owkey!  And yeah, like everyone says, I'll work on the opinion part of my review. :)

AvengedJasonfoldForever said...
Jun. 29, 2011 at 12:06 am

Everything was perfect until the last paragraph. It makes the book seem average because you're just saying "oh yah... great book."

I do not want to read this book. You're not telling me to read this book. You're telling me it's average. Maybe that was your intention. If so, you delivered it perfectly.

But I'm not sure if "readers unfamiliar..." is proper english. I could be wrong but it seems awkward to me. Maybe you'd say "those with little knowledge of Egyptology" or something... (more »)

CarrieAnn13 replied...
Jun. 29, 2011 at 8:52 am
Thanks so much for the comment!  I'll definitely keep that in mind next time I write a review. :)

FizzingWhizbees27 said...
Could have a bit more opinion but it is well written.
Dudeee, become a cultural anthropologist if you like Egypt

CarrieAnn13 replied...
Thanks for the comment.  I like Egypt, but I'm not about to become a cultural anthropologist.  It's just one of my many interests.  Being a lawyer pays way better. :)

Writomania This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Jun. 28, 2011 at 1:57 am
wow.. the review was pretty great.. this book definitely seems to be a must read..