Petey by Ben Mikaelsen | Teen Ink

Petey by Ben Mikaelsen

Have you ever been judged? Discriminated against for something you can't control, even if you would die to control it? Have you had people leave you year after year? How would you feel if that was your life? That's what it was like for Petey Corbin.

His was diagnosed as an idiot when he was only an infant. His parents tried to keep him and take care of him, until he was too much to handle and they had been neglecting their other child. They put him in the arms of a young nurse planning on taking him to his new home. Not knowing that what they thought was going to be a fresh start for him actually was not what he needed.

The place were he had been staying for 70 years had not been taking care of him the dieses he actually had, cerebral palsy, but for being retarded. It was not until he was moved to Bozeman, Montana and into a nursing home was he getting the care and attention he needed. And along with a happier environment and better people was a boy. Who saved his life and became his new best friend.

This book makes me think about the hard ships of life and how people are not always loving. I would say that I have never judged someone on his or her appearance but I would be lying. And if you have a tender soul and open heart this story will touch you too. I never wanted it to end!

gluca said...
Yes he did!

Cupcake 113 said...
Petey did not die in the end it did not say that

This book was quite insperational. I will remember this book for all eternity, because it has inspired me to the extent of spending my last hours with my god-parents before they departed from my life. If you have not read this book please do, it will indefinitly raise your self-esteem and make you want to raise other's self-esteems because that is how much this book may "Impact" your life. This was a true sumbol of art and Ben Mikaelsen is an artist i shall never forget.

johnny54 said...
on Mar. 30 2011 at 11:32 am

That is a real spoiler!!

johnny54 said...
on Mar. 30 2011 at 11:30 am
This was a really god and interesting book to read and it was ful of surprising information....

SPOILER!!! Petey does die in the end, but he gets very old and he dies very happy.

megaorange said...
So in the end did Petey ever die?

coolkid21 said...

poop!

whoa!!