Petey by Ben Mikaelsen | Teen Ink

Petey by Ben Mikaelsen

February 27, 2008
By Anonymous

Have you ever been judged? Discriminated against for something you can't control, even if you would die to control it? Have you had people leave you year after year? How would you feel if that was your life? That's what it was like for Petey Corbin.

His was diagnosed as an idiot when he was only an infant. His parents tried to keep him and take care of him, until he was too much to handle and they had been neglecting their other child. They put him in the arms of a young nurse planning on taking him to his new home. Not knowing that what they thought was going to be a fresh start for him actually was not what he needed.


The place were he had been staying for 70 years had not been taking care of him the dieses he actually had, cerebral palsy, but for being retarded. It was not until he was moved to Bozeman, Montana and into a nursing home was he getting the care and attention he needed. And along with a happier environment and better people was a boy. Who saved his life and became his new best friend.

This book makes me think about the hard ships of life and how people are not always loving. I would say that I have never judged someone on his or her appearance but I would be lying. And if you have a tender soul and open heart this story will touch you too. I never wanted it to end!