The Book Thief by Markus Zusak | Teen Ink

The Book Thief by Markus Zusak

February 22, 2008
By Anonymous

Though I usually prefer fantasy, reading The Book Thief was absolutely amazing. The way Markus Zusak spun the story was, well, stunning. His book isn't just ink and paper it is a world. You find yourself thinking the bombs are going to fall on your house and that you should run to the cellar. His words make the story seem real. You wont be able to put it down.

The Book Thief takes place in Germany during World War II. It begins with Death, our narrator, watching Liesel and her dieing brother. As the book continues we learn more about Liesel. We hear about her best friend, her parents, the Jew hidden in her family basement, and her obsession with books. The obsession that leads her to steal a book from Hitler's book burning pile.

Stealing that book leads Liesel to awesome discoveries and daring adventures. She works hard to learn to read and write with her father. They paint words on the basement walls until she is perfect. By stealing that book she begins to experience life in a different way. To find out the rest you'll have to read it.

This story inspired me to engage in the world around me and keep my eyes open. If you look hard enough you can see beauty in anything. That is my new goal. I hope you read this book or at least think about it. If you aren't ready to step out side your own little world I wont try to make you. Yet, if you bored out of your mind, I really suggest reading this book.