Fever 1793 by Laurie Halse Andersen | Teen Ink

Fever 1793 by Laurie Halse Andersen

Imagine yourself in Philadelphia. The year is 1793. You spend your lazy August days listlessly working in the coffeehouse. Soon all of this changes. Disease sweeps the streets and you end up living in a town where nothing is left. The only remains of your town are yellow pieces of cloth dangling from every door. You must learn to survive on your own, find family, and free yourself of disease. Your only hope is the frost. This image shows how Mattie, the main character, must struggle to survive in a city overpowered by disease. Fever 1793, a historical adventure, will have readers unable to put the book down.

Everyday Matilda wakes up to her mothers screeching voice ordering her to get up. Another long, boring, scorching August day she thinks. But her feeling change when fever breaks out. Mattie and her grandfather are sent to the countryside to be free of the sickness soon to be joined be her mother, but Mattie never makes it there. Halfway there, they are tossed against the road, forced to find food and water, and to help each other recover from sickness. They soon find themselves in a hospital bed and when they recover they go back to Philadelphia. “ Yellow fever had wrestled the life out of Philadelphia, infected the cobblestone, the trees and the nature of the people.” Nothing was left of the beautiful city but rundown homes and destroyed marketplaces. Mattie must find a way to survive and find her mother. Fever's theme shows desperation and how it can destroy everything yet bring people together.

In the 18th century novel, the main character, Mattie Cook, has big dreams. She plans to make her family coffeehouse the best in the U.S. but her dreams soon fall apart. Unfortunately, she is greeted by the death of one of her close friends, which continues on to many other people she knows. Mattie is an ambitious girl as she fights the disease and struggles to take care of the family she has. As the events unfold you see how Mattie changes from a lazy girl that didn't seem to care about anything to a brave girl that had persevered through many obstacles.

“My city Philadelphia was wide awake. My heart beat faster and my head cleared. Below the window, High St. teemed with horsemen, carriages, and carts.” This image plants a vivid picture in your head. The author's style of writing is good unique and skillfully written. Every chapter starts out with a quote that reveals events that are going to happen. Each paragraph is packed with visions, sounds, and smells of early Philadelphia, so you can see the crowded city turn into a dull gray environment. Each page is filled with suspense and tragedy, one following the other. Laurie Halse Anderson's book keeps your eye open reading page after page.

Some books tend to start out interesting and start to loose its touch toward the middle, but Fever is different. In the book, there is one problem coming up after the other making it unpredictable whether the problems would be solved, or just another tragedy waiting to happen. Fever is generally for people who like history, adventure, and a simple book to just sit and enjoy. This book teaches valuable lessons to people and is good for all ages. Fever is a great book that should be on everyone's ‘books to read' list.

In conclusion, Fever 1793 is a great book that all readers will enjoy. Fever teaches important lessons and you should defiantly read it. It is a great book that will intrigue your senses as you ride the thrilling roller coaster in all its turns and movements. Just imagine being there as Mattie Cook, your perfect city turned completely upside down affecting everyone who lives there. Imagine never seeing friends and family again. Imagine your city that would never be the same. Just imagine.