The Chronicles of Narnia: The Last Battle by C.S Lewis This work is considered exceptional by our editorial staff.

“So,” said the King, after a long silence, “Narnia is no more.”

Those five words, to me, seem to be the most horrific words in all of Narnia. As I read them, my heart broke. For any true Narnia fan, hearing a proclamation of the world’s end should bring tears to your eyes. (I know it almost did me.)

As the closing to the beloved children’s series by C.S Lewis, The Last Battle has done the series justice and yet, many who read it may find it to be a crime that it should have to end at all.

This ending is the result of a deception by a self-righteous and self-wise ape named Shift, who, in hoping to bring more good and power to himself, ushers in an evil and a war which he has no control over and soon finds himself at the mercy of a god he didn’t believe in.

For one final adventure, Eustace and Jill find themselves returned to Narnia to help the Last King of Narnia, the Last Believer in Aslan, the Last True Follower, for the Last Battle of Narnia.

Over the past month, I have read all seven of the Chronicles of Narnia in chronological order after years of being a fan of the films (both adaptions) and the radio program, and reading The Last Battle only to discover that my fantasy world has finally come to an end after 2,500 years of existence has been a devastation.

I’ve never found C.S Lewis’ writing (in the Chronicles of Narnia) to be the type to draw on the emotion of the reader and make you feel as the character feels; he writes simply and says what needs to be said and not what doesn’t. But for any fan of the series, or any child dreaming of walking through their wardrobe (or closet, for those of us in America) or a picture hanging on their wall or a door and finding Narnia on the other side, or for any person searching for the Fountain of Youth which comes with an adventure to Narnia or a taste of their fruit, this end will shatter dreams and produce tears; not due to the emotional state of the writing, but because of a beloved world ending and beloved characters, whom we’ve grown up with, begin new adventures in a new world which we will never know anything about. Their lives will continue on without us, while we are left behind.

Their leaving feels like a close friend has moved away and the death of Narnia feels as sacred as the death of a beloved pet to children who have known these stories and grown up with these characters and visited these lands as bedtime stories and childhood friends.

The ending of Narnia—which had to come at some point and yet all too soon—is an excellent one; it will leave fans saddened by their loss and yet excited and curious at these mysterious, new adventures our favorite characters are about to venture out on.

Even as I write, I feel as though I am being extremely repetitive and yet not saying what I wish to express. I don’t feel as though words could honestly describe the feeling this book gave to me as I read it. So, I suppose, in conclusion, I should say that this story is the ending Narnia needed and yet the one no one wanted. It’s a story that I can already tell will stay with me, as will Narnia.

Tears it brought while reading and tears it may bring while remembering. The Last Battle is a classic worthy of a pedestal all its own and possibly one even higher than its predecessor, The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe.

ChobaniLuvinPenguinThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
This is an amazing article!!! You clearly express your views and make the reader sympathize with you about the conclusion of a commonly-loved series and a world that many of us have dreamed of. Thank you for submitting this! Keep writing!

DaughterofEve said...
My childhood summed up in one word: Narnia. Even when I was like 12, I still would try to enter Narnia, and I had dreams about Narnia that were always epic. The 1st several times I read The Last Battle, I didn't like it, and now it's possibly my favorite book from the 7. I love how Lewis uses Plato's Forms as the basis for the afterlife place. It's thrilling to meet another Narnia fan on this site!! I am giving this review 5 stars!!!!!

FreeLOTRlifeguardThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
I apselutly love this article. I have been like that with Narnia my entire life, after I listened to the audiobooks when I couldn't even understand them, and later read them all. I had the same reaction when Narnia ended.

MarieAntoinette2012This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Oct. 3, 2012 at 10:01 am:
I have not read this book out of fear for the fact I know Narnia ends and I kind of don't want it to! It kind of feels like your child hoods going with it.

TheJustThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Oct. 3, 2012 at 9:57 pm :
Yeah, I understand. But just remind yourself that C.S Lewis didn't intend for LB to be the end. He had more plans for Susan! :)

guardianofthestarsThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
NARNIA IS KICK BUTT!! You did very well in expressing how a loyal Narnian fan feels at the end of this wonderful series. I really liked it :)

Sept. 28, 2012 at 8:23 am :
Thanks so much!!

Firebolt said...
Jun. 14, 2011 at 4:45 am:
your article is really great :)

Jun. 14, 2011 at 9:24 am :
Thank you very much!! :) :)

TheJustThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
If you rate less than five, please explain why. Thank you!! :)

chris replied...
Apr. 19, 2011 at 12:38 pm :
I liked your review.  It made sweet drawings in my head that turned orange at the cross of the semester.  I don't remember what you wrote, but I seem to have gone south when the phone rang.  It was the teacher telling me to drink coffee when I need to float to the sunshine delicatessen.  Thank you for the feelings your review evoked on my feet, which have heel pain.

Lexi4eva said...
Mar. 10, 2011 at 10:41 am:
The review is AWESOME!!!!!!!!

Mar. 10, 2011 at 10:48 am :
Wow! Thank you sooo much!!! :)

RedheadAtHeartThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Mar. 9, 2011 at 7:00 pm:

Oh, gosh, yes! I positively love C. S. Lewis and I have since I was four. I remember finishing The Last Battle when I was about seven and just feeling positively exhilarated about the end scene in Aslan's country.

Your review is wonderful and you did justice to this beautiful story - something I could never have done. Incredible work, and thank you!

Mar. 9, 2011 at 7:41 pm :
Thank you so much! You all have no clue how much your comments mean to me! Thank you!! 

Lilies said...
Mar. 8, 2011 at 2:23 pm:
This review is amazing! It's well-written and completely true. You're a very good writer(:

Mar. 9, 2011 at 10:16 am :
Thank you so much! :D

erikalewy said...
Mar. 7, 2011 at 3:13 pm:

This is really well-written. I agree: the Narnia series is not an emotional set of books. It's a fit little group that knows what needs to be said. And it brings up something I find interesting; your reaction to the book is something that writers often feel at the end of any story. We are reminded not necessarily of death, but an end. One day, we will cease to remember, and our world will be gone. 

You've inspired me to revisit the series. Try to keep the series alive in your head... (more »)

Mar. 7, 2011 at 6:10 pm :
Oh, believe me I will! And thank you, your comment means a lot! :)