Point Blank by Anthony Horowitz | Teen Ink

Point Blank by Anthony Horowitz

By Eden Shiferaw BRONZE, Cambridge, Massachusetts
Eden Shiferaw BRONZE, Cambridge, Massachusetts

POINT BLANK

How badly can the death of a relative affect your life? What would you do if you were forced to become a secret spy? Well, the real question I should be asking is "What would you do if you were forced to do things that would put your life in danger?"(a question quoted from the novel). Many do not know how to answer, while others do. Once your life is in danger, you will have the answers. These questions are the questions Alex Rider, the main character in this book, has to answer every day. Point Blank, written by Anthony Horowitz, a New York Times best-selling author, is the type of novel for a reader who enjoys books full of immense intensity, loaded with suspense, and packed with action.

If I were to rate this book, I would give it a four point five, out of five stars. I really enjoyed reading this novel, and I am sure anyone else would too. Once you start reading the first page, you cannot stop. Point Blank is so intense it makes you wonder what will happen next, making you want to read more. The suspense in this novel keeps you immersed in this book, and makes you want to read until the end. Lastly, the action in this book keeps you "pumped up", making it the best book to read. All of these things make the book an outstanding one to read. Therefore, I would recommend this book to anyone who enjoys their books full of surprises.

There are lots of things I like about this book, and a few I dislike. But, the major thing I like about this novel is the author's writing style. Anthony Horowitz writes in a way that a message is portrayed in very little words. I like this type of writing because he writes about so many things, in detail, in so little words. This is a very good thing because I can read so many important details, in little time, making it easy to follow and understand the story (or the plot in this novel). However, one thing I dislike about this novel is that once in a while, the author writes unnecessary details that do not affect the story at all. All in all, there are many things I like about this novel, and a few things that I dislike about Point Blank as well.

The general message about life the author conveys throughout the novel, Point Blank, is that life is full of many surprises, but you will have to learn to get through them with a positive attitude. There are many details throughout the book supporting this theme. First, Alex Rider, the main character in this book, is forced to become a secret agent for MI6. He is forced to become a "teenager spy". This was unexpected and surprising for Alex, but he learned to get through with a positive attitude, and accomplish what he is expected of doing. Secondly, Alex Rider learnt to get through the death of his parents and uncle, with a positive attitude. He figured that by doing so, he would not be depressed and angry for the rest of his life. Third, Alex gets sent to a far away finishing school to talk to a couple teenagers whose fathers had died. By doing so, he hoped to find out who murdered one of the richest people on Earth. Not only was this surprising for the teenager, but it was also very dangerous. All in all, I believe the theme of Point Blank by Anthony Horowitz was that life is full of many surprises, but you will have to learn to get through them with a positive attitude.

The book starts with the murder of Michael J. Roscoe, an innocent multi-millionaire, in New York. Meanwhile, Alex Rider, a fourteen-year-old teenager born and currently living in London, is forced to become a secret agent for MI6, and is soon told to work on the case of Michael J. Roscoe. As he works on it, he realizes the death of Michael is related to the death of General Major Viktor Ivanov, another rich man killed a few days before Michael. For the case, Alex is sent over to a countryside (where he stays for a week), to pretend to be a part of the Friend family. But while staying with the Friend family, Mrs. Friend is avoiding Alex as much as possible. Also, Fiona Friend, Mrs. and Mr. Friend's fifteen-year-old child, hates Alex, and is not willing to make him feel welcome. Will the idea of staying at the Friend's house affect the case? Will Alex ever find out who murdered the two rich men? It is your job to read and find out what happens for yourself.

In conclusion, Point Blank is a perfect book for a reader who likes to read books full of suspense, action, and intensity. How badly can the death of a relative affect your life? What would you do if you were forced to become a secret spy? "What would you do if you were forced to do things that would put your life in danger?". Many do not know how to answer, while others do. Once your life is in danger, you will have the answers. These questions are the questions Alex Rider, the main character of this book, has to answer every day.