An Abundance Of Katherines by John Green

John Green’s An Abundance Of Katherines has been on my ‘To-Read’ list for a while now. Each time my finger met the spine of the book at the library or bookstore, I could never bring myself to remove it from its perch. I would always glance at it, afraid to open it because I didn’t want finished-child-prodigy Colin Singleton and his quest to prove the Theorem of Underlying Katherine Predictability would be, I hate to say it but, boring. Whether it is in school or anywhere for that matter, math NEVER amuses me. So seeing the graphs and equations scattered throughout Green’s novel didn’t thrill me. However, I received An Abundance as a Christmas gift, so there was no more beating around the bush. I was going to read An Abundance of Katherines, and I’m so glad I did. Like the rest of Green’s novels, An Abundance holds laughter, heartbreak, and knowledge within its pages. Whoever reads this piece will find someway to relate to it, whether it is to the always-anagramming-child-genius or the small town girl afraid of big time dreams. Green’s intriguing blend of characters and their knowledge is what kept me turning pages. The book is filled with what appears to be ‘useless’ trivia knowledge, but I found the bits and pieces from Jeopardy’s Questions Past popping up in everyday conversations. The characters featured in Green’s book aren’t anything like you’re average teen novels. Their vast knowledge of forgotten languages and crossword puzzle clues will keep you learning while laughing. Throughout Green’s novel, I found myself literally laughing out loud not once or twice, but several times; which is something hard to come by in the teen novels of today. John Green’s An Abundance Of Katherines only seems to be like any other novel, but it’s far from it. An Abundance Of Katherines should be in the hands of every teen, boy or girl, who is looking for the perfect hysterically funny-mathematical-road trip-romance novel.