The Giver by Lois Lowry This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

After reading The Giver, I was left confused and disappointed. It seemed as if it would be interesting, but you can't judge a book by its cover. The contents were dull and predictable. Quite honestly, I wouldn't recommend it to any reader seeking a fine piece of literature. It just doesn't suffice.

The Giver is about a young boy named Jonas. He resides in a futuristic society in which each citizen is assigned a job, a spouse, and children. The children are born to mothers who will never get to see them. Trying not to give anymore away, I will only say that Jonas is assigned an important job and is challenged with the release of an innocent child. Jonas is left with the option of leaving his home, job, and family to save the child, or facing the harsh reality of his community and job, and enduring the release of the child.

This book was dreadful. I became more and more dissatisfied with each page. It was a waste of time and hardly made sense. I'll admit, there were a few interesting lines, but far too few to continue reading after the first chapter. Although I finished it, I regret doing so. It was, by far, the worst book I've ever picked up. It proved to be mediocre, no better than what the average person could conceive. I wouldn't recommend it to anyone.

RemusPenn said...
today at 7:20 pm
I have to say that I completely disagree. The Giver was written with a wonderful voice, the words were crafted expertly, and the plot was riveting. I never once found it to be boring or dull in any way, and I honestly feel you weren't really READING it. They don't give the Newberry Medal to any book, you know.

thecommenter said...
Apr. 22 at 10:50 am
this book was amazing I liked it I don't agree with the writer I thought it was really good I would recommend the book to every one but when we stop reading it made me want to read on I don't like your review don't be so mean that person worked hard to entertain us so don't be that way write a better review

thecritisizer said...
Apr. 22 at 10:47 am
this book waz amazane and I totally disagree with your opinion. I would recommened this book to every one by the way I am disappointed with your review and I disliked it so get your mind straight

thecritizer1 replied...
Apr. 27 at 9:49 am
@thecritisizer hey ive read every book in the world

Jessica said...
Apr. 22 at 10:42 am
I agree with you the book sucked

LegendKeeperThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Mar. 6 at 3:07 pm
Admittedly, the style needed work, and Jonas seemed a bit young to be experiencing some of the situations, and the plot itself was confusing, but it's a good wake up call. Honestly, it seems as if what we are experiencing in this age is a 'watered-down' version of what is portrayed. So yes, the book is someone hard to read, but the lesson is important too. (We just shouldn't abuse style for lesson)

Denisa replied...
Mar. 7 at 7:14 pm
I completely agree with you and I remember reading this in 8th grade and hating it; however I wasn’t the only one, in fact most of the kids in my grade hated the book. I think it’s mainly because when you’re that young and forced to read a book you automatically lose interest even more. But recently I re-read it and actually found myself…still hating it. I agree that this novel was boring and what I disliked the most about it was the ending. It left me feeling disappointed and kind of an... (more »)

catty98eThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Mar. 5 at 3:26 pm
I love this book very much, I read it in seventh grade and it was very insightful and twisting. but, i do respect your opinion

annycs13This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Feb. 9 at 5:15 pm
In sixth grade my teacher made us rewrite the ending to the book because my whole class disliked it. It isn't a very good book, but the idea it conveys is very strong. I wouldn't recommend the book to anyone as well, but I think that it's a very good display of a true dystopian world according to a dictionary's definition.

jaydaug replied...
May 20 at 7:54 am
My sixth grade teacher made my class do the same thing, for the same reasons. I was wondering if you were one of the students in that class.

nishka9 said...
Jan. 30 at 8:32 pm
I believe it depends on when you read this novel. The new books such as Divergent and The Hunger Games really brought out the Dystopian novels, but Th GIver really satrted the trend and people gained interest in the dystopian genre.

SophieSchnitzelThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. replied...
Feb. 22 at 11:39 pm
The Giver was a REAL dystopian book. The most important thing for me in dystopian literature is to raise questions and The Giver did that. The problem with The Hunger Games and Divergent is that IT DIDN'T RAISE QUESTIONS AT ALL. I liked the Hunger Games and hated Divergent with a burning passion (sorry) but I was disappointed by both in that they didn't raise questions. They were barely dystopias. Well, they WERE dystopias, but all Divergent was for me was a romance (with dystopia in the backgro... (more »)

nishka9 replied...
Mar. 10 at 10:57 pm
@SophieSchnitzel I completely agree with you, although your opinion on "raising questions" differs for me since I thought Divergent and The Hunger Games were rather intriguing to me and did raise questions. The romance in each was a bit overpowering for the main point of theme behind them, I have to admit that.

AlejandroG said...
Jan. 29 at 6:32 pm
Does anyone know that this book is part of a four piece set?

EllyApolloRoseThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. replied...
Feb. 11 at 2:06 pm
I do! I've read three of four, I have yet to read "Son".

Bookworm4610 said...
Jan. 13 at 6:41 pm
I agree..This was an EXTREMLY Bland book... it had no "Flavor"

NoniDoniThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Jan. 12 at 8:41 pm
I loved the book and will agree to disagree with you!

swiftie_emzThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Dec. 31, 2014 at 2:30 am
I agree with you at some places. I liked the book, but it was dull and the end just left me confused. WHY WOULD LOIS DO THAT TO US? And the movie that came out this year is even worse. I agree at places with you, but I think it was an okay book.

GirlGeniusThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
I can't decide whether or not to read, "The Blood of Olympus." Can someone do a review on that?

Jonah H. This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Nov. 12, 2014 at 10:01 am
Well , I read The Giver in the 5 th grade , and I didn't see the point in it. The ending was good and heartfelt in my opinion , but the story just ......... sucks.