The Captian's Dog | Teen Ink

The Captian's Dog

Summary:
In 1804 Captains Lewis and Clark set out to look for a passage from the Atlantic Ocean to the Pacific Ocean. Nobody ever knew why, but right before the journey Captain Meriwether Lewis bought a Newfoundland dog named Seaman to bring on the expedition with him. Now in 1808, Seaman looks back on his journey as Lewis’s journal is read. This a very unique book because it is old through a dog’s eyes. This book is the dog’s side of the story and how he remembers the trip. The book tells of all the problems they encounter and all the friends and enemies they make. At many times the crew is on the edge of death, but they just barely escape it. This is a well researched, well written book.

Setting:
The book is told in 1808 as the dog remembers his journey as the expedition moves from plains to mountains to valleys and oceans. In the wilderness east of the Mississippi from 1804 to 1806.

Recommendations:
This book is not for impatient people because it moves slowly at certain points. Nor is it for people who like absolute and complete fiction because it is based on real stuff. It is, however, for people who like suspense and fate because it plays into the book a lot. It is also good for adventure lovers because adventure is every where in the wilderness. My favorite part of the book was when Seaman protects a female wolf from getting shot, by jumping in the water and distracting Lewis.

Genre:
Adventure, action, and historical non-fiction.

Rating:
7