Speak by Laurie Halse Anderson

I first read Speak, by Laurie Halse Anderson, when I was in fifth grade. It moved me to tears.

Speak is the story of Melinda Sordino during her year as a freshman at high school. Before the school year started, Melinda was raped by an older student at a party and afterwards called the police, resulting in the arrest of several of her future classmates and the loss of all of her friends and any she may have made during high school.

As the story progresses, we see the Melinda's journey as she faces depression, being a social pariah, and her unwillingness to speak. Over the year, she befriends her art teacher, Mr. Freeman, and David Petrakis, both of whom help her to eventually speak out against the older student.

Speak is written from the point of view of an outsider, making this book even more interesting for the social facts that Melinda points out throughout the novel. Melinda's fall into depression is not something many of us can relate to, but her view from the outside is a place where many teenagers are at one point during high school.

This story also teaches us not only the importance of, literally, speaking out against the wrong, but also of how hard it can be to do so. This book is a fantastic read and is a very good choice for someone looking for a deeper book then normal.

BlackHoleHighAlum This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Wait! Did you read it for a school assignment??