The Perks of Being a Wallflower | Teen Ink

The Perks of Being a Wallflower

November 18, 2007
By Anonymous

The Perks of Being a Wallflower written by Stephen Chbosky is a unique and captivating novel. The way this work of literature was written was interesting. The main character and narrator, Charlie, writes letters to an anonymous friend. Every entry in his diary would be about social issues, drugs, sexuality, friends, death, dating, strong emotions, and depression, all of which have helped him to become a stronger character.

This novel can be compared to The Catcher in the Rye by J.D. Salinger. However it isn't about a depressed, helpless teenager, but rather a “wallflower” who tries to make the best of life. Because of the topics discussed in this novel, it kept my attention. The characters seemed real, and it is the kind of book that can affect your life, and influence teenage readers. It can also influence adults, and recollect memories they had growing up as teens. If not a teenager, the reader will know what it is like to live the life of one after reading this novel. It gave a clear view on what it is like to grow up, and how certain events can affect you.

The main character had numerous things going on in his life. Many teenagers, including myself, can relate to this character. Sooner or later teenagers are forced to deal with at least one of the problems discussed in the novel. Being that I could relate so well to what was going on in the book, it kept my interest. Books written in first person tend to interest me more because I feel like I am in their place, which made this novel even more appealing. Stephen Chbosky has a very unique style of writing. He accomplished the goal of keeping the interest of the audience. If the reader couldn't relater to Charlie, they were drawn to him and able to empathize with him. This book was recommended to me by many of my classmates, and it was advertised in magazines and on television. After reading it I found that The Perks of Being a Wallflower was one of the very few books I wasn't able to put down. I would recommend this book to all teenagers, and young adults.