A Success Story This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

Este" Lauder's autobiography titled Este", A Success Story, reveals fascinating details about her start in the cosmetics industry, the fierce battles she fought to break into the market, and her secrets to staying on top.

Influenced by her uncle from Hungary who was a skin specialist, Lauder mixed and invented her creams and makeup in her own home, experimenting and testing the new products on herself, her friends, and anyone else who was around. Her book describes funny incidences ranging from a maid's mistaking her cream for mayonnaise to her marketing director's all-night vigil at Bonwit Teller's to guard the sales counter from a Revlon salesman who wanted that spot himself.

Not only has Lauder created her own line of high quality skincare and makeup products, but she has also developed the glamorous yet hypoallergenic line, Clinique. Also to her credit are the companies Aramis and Prescriptives. The secrets to her success are attributed to her hard work and dedication as well as her innovative and detailed selling strategies.

I thoroughly enjoyed reading about Este" Lauder's personal life, her business, and her elegant social life. I would recommend this book to anyone who is interested in pursuing a career in business; there is a lot to be learned from this businesswoman. It is especially inspiring to learn how a female broke into a male-dominated industry with grace and style. Even her autobiography is written with flair; Este" Lauder has truly captured my respect for her imagination and ingenuity. She is a role-model for future business leaders in that they may learn how to expect perfection and high quality in everything they do. n

Review by Ena Chang, Westford

Sunshinee said...
Apr. 15, 2011 at 10:29 am

Sunshinee