The Curious Incident of the Dog in Night-time by Mark Haddon | Teen Ink

The Curious Incident of the Dog in Night-time by Mark Haddon

April 10, 2010
By bookcrazy PLATINUM, Rocky Hill, Connecticut
bookcrazy PLATINUM, Rocky Hill, Connecticut
35 articles 0 photos 11 comments

If one is supposed to feel a tug at his or her heart by reading this book, well, it didn’t happen for me. It wasn’t because Christopher lacked emotion. And it wasn’t exactly irritation at him, which one might feel when around autistic people; he was simply unlikable and flat. I continued reading to see if the ending would change my mind, to see if any aspect of it would move me. That didn’t happen either.

I did find the Monty Hall problem very interesting. Also, I liked how the chapters were numbered by prime numbers. But, the way the author explained about prime numbers is not correct! Mr. Haddon, you don’t get prime numbers by taking away the multiples of 2, the multiples of 3, the multiples of 4, etc. That will leave you with no numbers at all. 2, 3, 5, 7 are multiples of 2, 3, 5, and 7 respectively and they are prime numbers. Maybe you mean to say that you have to take away the multiples of each whole number except the number itself. (The number 1 is an exception.)

There's an autistic boy in my school. And ever since he was a freshman, he dressed and played the role as the school's mascot at football games and rallies. That's an accomplishment--going from talking to no one to representing the school's mascot. If he ever writes a story, I would like it more than CURIOUS.