Uprising by Margaret Peterson Haddix | Teen Ink

Uprising by Margaret Peterson Haddix MAG

Uprising is a tale woven from tendrils of smoky memories from times long past and emotions still strong. This novel is a winding puzzle of life and loss, and the heart-wrenching tale of death, sacrifice, and devotion to one’s cause.

The theme “never give up” is found throughout Uprising in the three main characters’ commitment to a cause and their refusal to stop trying, despite dangerous circumstances. Even when death looms, they fight for their rights and the rights of all workers in the shirtwaist factories of the 1900s.

This book was impossible to put down. The prose sucks the reader in, and the story, with flowing details, keeps the reader hypnotized in the amazing tale of three young women caught in the fire that shocked America, changing it forever.

I definitely recommend Uprising to anyone who loves history and wishes they could have been there to experience it. If you read this book, I guarantee that you’ll never look at history the same way again

Nessi said...
I love this book

hithere said...
Bella @lover_gold

hi how would you describe Bella Yetta and Jane

Icepen said...
Wow. Just....WOW. I just got done reading Uprising and there aren't many words to describe the sheer power that the book holds over me. The theme of the book is clear and is best represented in a quote from Pirates of the Carribean. "No cause is lost if there is but one fool left to fight for it." I think this book has just changed my entire outlook on life.

tinytechie SILVER, 34 Ridgewood St., Connecticut

"I've been singing since I was born" - Idina Menzel

okay, all you people... STOP!  You keep saying things that i dont want to know if im hoing to read the book!

Wow! Way to spoil the ending! You could have stopped after how the fire started. I would have actually READ  the book if i didn't know that Yetta died and that this happened and that happened.

@ lover_gold said...
Bella  is the only one that survives out of the 3 friends. Bella is also known as Mrs. LIvingston.

madi1999 said...
Bella yetta died jumping off and jane got caught in the fire and burned...... mrs. livigston i bella!

madi1999 said...
One of the workers was smoking and it caught onto some of the shirt waist which caused the whole building to calapse and only bella survived! Jane got caught and burned and Yetta jumped off the building and went threw the landing... and died with that boy she liked!

Trina said...
I loved the book:) it was the only book i got into in like a year:) the only thing i missed was how the fire got started. i skiped 3 chapters to keep up with my class and i think that was in one of those chapters. can anyone help? please?

rocketninja said...
I hate this book. The ending is messed up and it is boring all of the way through.

hey.com said...
i didnt get it so who was Mrs. Livingston bella yetta or jane plz email back kk

lea42 said...
on Aug. 30 2011 at 10:06 am
i loved this book!!!!!!!

lover_gold said...
who survives?

lover_gold said...
who survives?

lover_gold said...
who survives at the end of the story!!!!!!!! and what page does it say that

peace_smurff said...
I love this book!! Haddix is a wonderful author, and this book was the first I experienced from her.  It tells of everyday life in the past for immagrants, the horrible facts of factory owners, and describes the event well.

sshfaryal BRONZE, Marion, Indiana

I read this book over a year ago and absolutely loved it, Haddix has always been a genius. Less than a month ago, though, I read a book called "In the Time of Butterflies," that I think Haddix may have gotten some inspiration.

"In the Time of Butterlies," by Julia Alvarez, is also based off true events that happend in the Dominican Republic to four girls. All but one girl survives, and the book opens with the surviving girl, just like this one. The narrators switch from chapter to chapter. Even though the plots are completely different, I strongly encourage reading "In The Time of Butterflies" is you liked the way this book was set up. I loved both books so much, and I personally am now going to try the "head jumping" technique they both used to write with.

bookworm12 said...
I loved this book!!! It was amazing. It immediatly sucks you in and you can't put it down. This heart-warming, sad, happy, moving, history-changing book shows us how three girls had an experience of a lifetime and how a fire changed America forever. I strongly recomend this book to anyone who enjoys history and believes in having rights and freedoms!

nicoleh123 said...
I've read this book! I luvd it!!!!!