Dracula by Bram Stoker | Teen Ink

Dracula by Bram Stoker MAG

Over vacation, I read Dracula by BramStoker. It is a classic science-fiction horror novel about avampire traveling to London from Transylvania in the late1800's. The novel opens with a journal entry from one of themain characters, Jonathan Harker, traveling by train toTransylvania to meet Count Dracula. During his visit, Jonathannotices abnormalities in the castle and even more strangeincidents with the Count.

Eventually, Jonathan isforced to escape from the Count by jumping into a river fromthe top of the castle. Jonathan, however, accidentally enticesthe Count to meet Jonathan's fiancee and their friends andpulls him into their world.

After the death of one oftheir friends, the main characters become obsessed withridding the world of the Count. The reading is difficult attimes because the story is written in journal entries by themain characters about the same subject other characters arealso writing or talking about.

All and all, I enjoyedDracula very much, and encourage all who like horror orsuspense novels to read it. If you saw the movie from theearly 1990's, the story lines are quite different.

i love this !

Descant GOLD said...
on Mar. 22 2009 at 11:44 am
Descant GOLD, Huntington Beach, California

"A man's work is nothing but this slow trek to rediscover, through the detours of art, those two or three great and simple images in whose presence his heart first opened" –Albert Camus

Please recognize the distinction between urban fantasy and science fiction (key words: "fantasy" vs. "science"). Anyway, I agree that it is a very good book - Stoker shows a true mastery of its epistolary and journal entry form, keeping the characters distinct and the suspense compelling.