Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen | Teen Ink

Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen

By StephanieMichelle GOLD, Bledsoe, Kentucky
StephanieMichelle GOLD, Bledsoe, Kentucky

The person, be it gentleman or lady, whom does not take pleasure in a good book must be incredibly stupid. --- Jane Austen

I read Pride and Prejudice for the first time three years ago and have successfully read it at least once a month since. This is my favorite book in the history of books, and in my opinion, perhaps the greatest love story ever told. Although Lizzy Bennet stands, at the beginning of the book, as the living personification of judgment and hot-temperament, I can never find it in me to think ill of her, because she always manages to guide me to the end-lesson seamlessly. (f.y.i, lesson= don't judge!)

And no one can talk about Pride and Prejudice without mentioning Mr. Darcy, otherwise known as the first literary hero that I ever fell in love with. When you first read him, you end up hating him right along with Lizzy, and each time afterward, when you begin again, you still want to hate him, but then that mysterious something happens between volumes II and III and *bam!* Darcy suddenly isn't so proud anymore, and Lizzy is halfway in love with him before she even knows she's begun!

I'm terrible at explaining all the reasons that Pride and Prejudice is the best book in the world. All I can say is that I laugh, I cry, I swoon, and I end up screaming at the black and white pages in front of me like they're going to morph into a face and talk back. Read it! Trust me, Lizzy will become your BFF, and Darcy will pay you a very special visit in your dreams the next night. Tallyho!

on May. 13 2010 at 8:17 am
TheHandThatWieldsThePen SILVER, Shapleigh, Maine

"Let's waste time
chasing cars
around our heads."
--Chasing Cars by Snow Patrol

"I do believe it's true
there are roads left in both of our shoes
if the silence take you then I hope it takes me too."
--Soul Meets Body by Death Cab For Cutie

I'm reading this book right now for my Honors English Class and it is very good so far.  I'm only on about Chapter Thirteen though. Anyway, I loved your article!  Tallyho!