The Girls of Summer | Teen Ink

The Girls of Summer MAG

By Anonymous

   Have you ever read a book that makes youlaugh and almost cry, makes you nervous and excited all at the same time? This isthe emotional roller coaster of The Girls of Summer: The U.S. Women's SoccerTeam and How it Changed the World. The book includes players' bios, historiesof the national team and the World Cups, controversies, a play-by-play commentaryof the Women's World Cup final and much more.

This book is not great just because it is about soccer, but because it shows the struggles of women athletes.It confirms the idea that women's sports are just as good as men's. When they wonthe World Cup it was proclaimed that, "Women's sports changed forever."Longman writes in great length about Title IX and other topics that affectwomen's sports. Another great part of this book is the opinions from many peopleof various backgrounds.

This book is not like every other book aboutsports. It jumps back and forth from the final to player bios to the history ofthe national team. The story is very detailed, especially as it nears the end ofthe final game, which really makes the book exciting.

The Girls ofSummer has photos of each player and the WWC games. Looking at them, I feltas if I was there. I cannot express how much I loved reading The Girls ofSummer; I did not want it to end. As I am sure you have guessed, it is wellworth the money!