Copper Sun by Sharon Draper This work is considered exceptional by our editorial staff.

Amari was torn away from her peaceful life in a rural African village. She was forced onto a ship, where she was brutally mistreated, and taken to America where she was sold like an animal at an auction. Copper Sun, by Sharon Draper, is her story. In America, Polly, a hard-working indentured servant, was given the task of training her. Working with Amari everyday, Polly begins to overcome her prejudice. Amari realizes that not everyone with white skin is insensitive and heartless. They both realize they have a common goal. They wish to escape from their cruel owner, Mr. Derby, and find freedom. When Mr. Derby's kind wife has a black baby girl, Amari and Polly's situation becomes much worse, and they know it's time for them to take action.

When Draper first presents the reader with Polly's view of slaves you feel like slapping Polly because she is so racist. However, it's how a girl in Polly's position probably would have been taught to think at that time, and after getting to know Amari her views change. I liked how instead of being advised to go north, Amari and Polly were advised to go to Spanish Florida. I hadn't known that slavery was illegal there at that time. I would definitely recommend this book, even to someone who usually doesn't enjoy historical fiction, because it is filled with action. This book is considered young adult, but there is some mature content. Copper Sun is a powerful book with realistic characters and detailed, descriptive writing that brings the horrors of slavery to life.

KatsK This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
This is an amazing book-- my teacher suggested it to me and it was one of those where it just stays in your mind. The characters are really good, the scenario and historical part are accurate, and it's just really great. This truly exposes what life was really like at the time.

KitKatKandi said...
This Book is AMAZINGGGG !! personally i never read but in LA the whole class was forced to read it and by the time we read the first chapter we wanted to keep going. I wishh their was a part 2 to this book. Now i am 13 and us teens can spend our time texing but i rather spend my time Reading part 2 , , ,  AND I AM NOT A GEEK

kepixylee said...
amazing book!!! must read definitely!!!!!! ahhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!! sooooooooo goooooood!