The Shadow Children Books by Margaret Peterson Haddix | Teen Ink

The Shadow Children Books by Margaret Peterson Haddix

By amachii GOLD, Schenectady, New York
amachii GOLD, Schenectady, New York

"ganbaranakutemo ee nende!" (It's okay even if you didn't do your best!) -Smileage/Tsunku

Wow. The Shadow Children books were introduced to me by a teacher. I wasn’t so sure that I would like them, and then I got halfway into Among the Hidden. I couldn’t put it down!!

It’s about a futuristic community that recently suffered of famines. They made up a law that says parents are only aloud two children, and any third child, or shadow child, found by the Population Police will be killed, along with anyone associated with them. So, obviously, that’s something you keep secret.

The seven books follow different characters, who all connect somewhere along the way. Luke, Nina, Percy, Matthias, Trey and Jen (am I missing any? I haven’t read the books in a while. If so, please tell me.) are all third children. Most of them have absolutely no idea who the next one is, but they all have something in common: they live every day on the border of life and death.

The books, Among the Hidden, Among the Imposters, Among the Betrayed, Among the Barons, Among the Enemy, and Among the Free are GREAT!!!! They are page- turners full of cliffhangers, and the Science Fiction genre will really bring readers in. I don’t know anyone who’s read them and didn’t like them!!!!

I hope you guys read the books, no matter how young thay may seem. If you do like them (which I'm almost positive you will), go to the author's website at www.haddixbooks.com

Ainsley_Sterling BRONZE, Holland, Michigan

"I have found it is the small things, everyday deeds of ordinary folk, that keeps the darkness at bay. Simple acts of kindness and love."
Gandalf

Love these books as well! They're among my favorites. Some parts are a bit slow, but I personally don't mind that at all. These books were full of surprises and were an absolute joy to read. Unfortunately, I haven't gotten the chance to read the last one yet, as my library for some reason had all of them except the last one.

on Sep. 19 2012 at 10:11 am
MarieAntoinette2014 DIAMOND, Scottsburg, Indiana

Isn't it ironic? We ignore the ones who adore us, adore the ones who ignore us, love the ones who hurt us, and hurt the ones that love us.

Hate to say it, but yeah. The ones after Nina just seemed loooong.

tinytechie SILVER, 34 Ridgewood St., Connecticut

"I've been singing since I was born" - Idina Menzel

i liked the first few. the last few seemed to drag on.

jdp2598 said...
on Apr. 3 2012 at 7:57 am
jdp2598, Cranston, Rhode Island

Keep your friends close and your enemies closer

I really liked this book. I read them all

HI MS. ORABONE

KatsK DIAMOND said...
KatsK DIAMOND, Saint Paul, Minnesota

Being inexhaustible, life and nature are a constant stimulus for a creative mind.
~Hans Hofmann
You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.
~Ray Bradbury

Yeah, it is. Although I didn't fall in love with the series, they are good, and pretty interesting.

Bookworm1997 BRONZE, South Milwaukee, Wisconsin

You cannot open a book without learning something. -Confucious

These books are great! I didn't think they would be at first, but I was impressed.

amachii GOLD said...
amachii GOLD, Schenectady, New York

thank you!

Jean16Bean PLATINUM, Batavia, New York

"Writing is not hard. Just get paper and pencil, sit down and write as it occurs to you. The writing is easy-it's the occurring that's hard."-Stephen Leacock

I loved these books! They are amazing! Chack out Haddix's other books, too, they are really great.

on Jun. 17 2011 at 8:49 am
Grace4297 BRONZE, McLean, Virginia

"Heads I win, tails you lose."

I loved the series! I was glued to Haddix books through all of sixth grade! Great review.

Kobalt BRONZE said...
Kobalt BRONZE, Sanderson, Florida

My past is part of me but it doesnt define me or foreshadow my future. Only does my present state of mind make such a decision.

i Absoulutely love this book series!!! Great talent and would love to have the same  talent!

on May. 10 2011 at 8:14 am
havent read this book but sounds good!!!!!! Heard its good and i think im guna read it soon!!! :D

veggiearthlover BRONZE, Portland, Maine

"Happy are those who dream dreams and are ready to pay the price to make them come true."

I love this series soooooo much!!! I read all of them supper fast wish there were more! A teacher intoduced me to them too!

cody185 said...
on May. 2 2011 at 8:22 am
sounds like a good book

AzureNova said...
I've read the whole series and it was the first series that really got me into reading. The books are very interesting, you never get bored. The characters are very relatable, and the setting is in the near future which makes it easy to picture yourself in the characters' shoes. I'd really recommend it, it's not a difficult read, and fairly fast-paced.

Aderes47 GOLD said...
Aderes47 GOLD, Cambridge, Massachusetts

You will find as you look back upon your life that the moments when you have truly lived are the moments when you have done things in the spirit of love.
Henry Drummond

I read Among the HIdden and enjoyed it. I'm thinking of getting the next one soon. :)

amachii GOLD said...
on Mar. 6 2011 at 8:48 am
amachii GOLD, Schenectady, New York

Whoops. Sorry,  I pressed "New comment" instead of "reply". I'm pretty sure all of my replies are up, though. Sorry.

amachii GOLD said...
on Mar. 6 2011 at 8:47 am
amachii GOLD, Schenectady, New York

I agree. But, I guess the way she wrote them made them more exciting, and they moved along faster. :)

amachii GOLD said...
on Mar. 6 2011 at 8:45 am
amachii GOLD, Schenectady, New York

I fit's by her, than you can be sure it's good. :)

amachii GOLD said...
on Mar. 6 2011 at 8:44 am
amachii GOLD, Schenectady, New York

love your screenname! Manga is so awesome! Yeah, Margaret Peterson Haddix is really cool. thanks for commenting :)

amachii GOLD said...
on Mar. 6 2011 at 8:43 am
amachii GOLD, Schenectady, New York

How did I forget a book? :P Oh, and thanks for the rating! :)