Unaccustomed Earth by Jhumpa Lahiri | Teen Ink

Unaccustomed Earth by Jhumpa Lahiri MAG

December 20, 2009
By smile(: BRONZE, Jacksonville, Florida
smile(: BRONZE, Jacksonville, Florida
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Jhumpa Lahiri's Unaccustomed Earth is a riveting anthology of eight short stories that speak to the soul. The tales are like beads on a priceless necklace; each is distinctly beautiful. This collection of gems creates a stunning experience. It is the epitome of an anthology: each is connected in a unique way.

This sense of association is heightened by characters of Bengali origin, accentuating the author's heritage. The final link that ties this collection together is the exploration of different relationships in each story: a married couple, feuding siblings, and secretive housemates, to name a few.

The characters are realistic. They possess the simple quality of humanity that makes them seem real. They have triumphs, make mistakes, learn or obstinately refuse to. They are immeasurably deep. Just as you might look past a friend's faults, you value these characters and ignore their bad traits. When Rahul, a recovering alcoholic is left in charge of his nephew for a few hours, you have faith in him. Yet you're heartbroken when his sister returns to have her trust shattered due to his carelessness. These people stay on your mind long after the last page.

The best quality is Lahiri's rich, pure voice. Her diction is detailed, yet unrivaled in clarity. The words draw you into the lives of the characters, whether they are from the suburbs of Seattle or the ghettos of Rome. Her words cross the line that separates a good story from fine literature.

Unaccustomed Earth is a beautiful book that makes an everlasting impression.