Unaccustomed Earth by Jhumpa Lahiri | Teen Ink

Unaccustomed Earth by Jhumpa Lahiri MAG

By smile(: BRONZE, Jacksonville, Florida
smile(: BRONZE, Jacksonville, Florida

Jhumpa Lahiri's Unaccustomed Earth is a riveting anthology of eight short stories that speak to the soul. The tales are like beads on a priceless necklace; each is distinctly beautiful. This collection of gems creates a stunning experience. It is the epitome of an anthology: each is connected in a unique way.

This sense of association is heightened by characters of Bengali origin, accentuating the author's heritage. The final link that ties this collection together is the exploration of different relationships in each story: a married couple, feuding siblings, and secretive housemates, to name a few.

The characters are realistic. They possess the simple quality of humanity that makes them seem real. They have triumphs, make mistakes, learn or obstinately refuse to. They are immeasurably deep. Just as you might look past a friend's faults, you value these characters and ignore their bad traits. When Rahul, a recovering alcoholic is left in charge of his nephew for a few hours, you have faith in him. Yet you're heartbroken when his sister returns to have her trust shattered due to his carelessness. These people stay on your mind long after the last page.

The best quality is Lahiri's rich, pure voice. Her diction is detailed, yet unrivaled in clarity. The words draw you into the lives of the characters, whether they are from the suburbs of Seattle or the ghettos of Rome. Her words cross the line that separates a good story from fine literature.

Unaccustomed Earth is a beautiful book that makes an everlasting impression.

amondal SILVER said...
amondal SILVER, King Of Prussia, Pennsylvania
i am actually meeting jhumpa lahiri tonight because she is signing books at a hall near my house! i'm so excited and i've read all of her books! i think i love her so much because i'm bengali so i can totally relate to her...anyways, great article! i recommend this book to anyone! 

Meenu said...
Very interesting & nice. :) 

Pooja said...
on Feb. 28 2010 at 11:30 am
I have read the topic this is intresting and very good.

Asha said...
Excellent!

MGeek said...
Normally, i do not read book reviews but I came to this site accidently when i was looking for science project ideas for my son' upcoming science competition. I just started reading and before I can even realize I finished the article/review. Great job Smileeee!!!!..

spring said...
Sounds like an interesting book. Great article!

Mitesh said...
on Jan. 8 2010 at 7:56 am
Nice article.

shivshiva said...
on Jan. 7 2010 at 4:38 am
Interesting article...would love to read the book.

sarmen said...
I wish I had this book on me,,,sound like a great book

Krispandit said...
Reading this article makes me want to read this book.