A Separate Peace This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

A Separate Peace will grab you and never let go. In this coming-of-age story, war is seemingly everywhere, both between nations and friends.

The protagonist, Gene Forrester, returns to Devon Academy to see two things: a tree near the Devon River and a flight of marble stairs in the First Academy Building. How can it be that these two places affect the outcome of the story?

Set in 1943, Gene and Phineas are best friends who remain side by side until the end. Or so we think. Gene is actually jealous of his best friend, which causes loads of problems. The plot takes you through twists and turns that lead to an astounding ending. No one could make this story any better.

Gene says “wars were not made by generations and their special stupidities ... wars were made instead by something ignorant in the human heart,” which means that wars weren't created by stupid people, but rather something silly and unaware in the heart, which is a major theme.

My favorite part is when some Devon boys have a trial for Gene. He does something that you won't believe! You definitely don't want to miss this book.

Although the one event that is the focus of the novel occurs very early on, the book holds the reader's interest until the very last word. Every part of this story is crucial to the outcome. Let's put it this way: if you want drama, mystery, comedy and plot twists, read A Separate Peace.

This article has 1 comment. Post your own!

dagnytaggart said...
Mar. 22, 2013 at 10:32 pm:
My 8th grade teacher gave this book to me as a fift 2 years ago, and I absolutely love it! I've read it about 6 times, and it seems like each time you read it, you gain a deeper understanding of the book. (kinda like the harry potter series :)