The Pact | Teen Ink

The Pact MAG

By Bapalapa2 ELITE, Brooklyn, New York
Bapalapa2 ELITE, Brooklyn, New York

The Pact by acclaimed author Jodi Picoult is by no means your everyday love story. It is one full of thrills, mystery and tragedy. Picoult, author of My Sister's Keeper and Plain Truth, keeps you intrigued and curious. This fast-paced book is perfect for all age groups.

The Pact is about Chris and Em who have been best friends since infancy. Their families are neighbors and inseparable. As they mature, they realize they have fallen in love. They do everything and go everywhere together, and can't live without the other.

When Em suddenly dies, though, Chris is the prime suspect. It's agonizing to read about him missing her as he suffers in jail. Each chapter flips between the past and the present, and when the time periods eventually meet, you are able to solve the mystery.

Along with the problems of the teens, Picoult also describes the difficulties that arise between the two families and the suffering they experience. Picoult does a wonderful job illustrating the anguish that they feel, the suspense in the courtroom during the trial, and the life that Chris experiences in jail.

Picoult touches on topics that most parents hope never to face. It might make you question just how well you know your friends and even your own family. This novel is written so well that it feels realistic and is impossible to put down.

I recommend this deeply moving novel to anyone interested in love, tragedy, suspense and compassion. There is a very good chance it will bring you to tears. After reading it you'll want to find the many other beautifully written books by Picoult. Her style is unique and fascinating.

i love this !