The Night I Freed John Brown | Teen Ink

The Night I Freed John Brown

July 24, 2009
By Katie Ensinger BRONZE, New Martinsville, West Virginia
Katie Ensinger BRONZE, New Martinsville, West Virginia
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

The Night I Freed John Brown by John Michael Cummings is a book about 13-year-old Josh Connors, a boy living in historic Harpers Ferry, West Virginia. A Harpers Ferry native, Cummings uses the town as a backdrop for this novel. He includes historical settings such as Jefferson's Rock, John Brown Wax Museum, St. Peter's Church, and John Brown's Fort to weave his story

Josh's life changes during the summer of his seventh grade year when the Richmonds move in next door. They have a son named Luke who is the same age as Josh. The Richmonds are much different than the Connors. For instance Luke's family is remodeling a beautiful Victorian home while Josh lives in a run-down former souvenir shop. In addition, Luke has been to Europe, reads Shakespere, and believes John Brown was a martyr. Even though his mother and father are divorced, Luke's father cares for his children very much.

On the other hand, Josh's father is a very angry and bitter man. Josh is forbidden to go to downtown Harpers Ferry, go to church, or discuss John Brown.

Much to his father's disapproval Josh and Luke visit downtown Harpers Ferry and perform in a play about John Brown. Josh even goes to confession with a priest his father hates. Much of Josh's father's anger is a result of the loss of his parents' house, which they lived in because they were caretakers of St. Peter's Catholic Church. The deserted house of Josh's grandparents is identical to Luke's newly restored home.

Josh's accidental firing of a BB into the John Brown Wax Museum front window sets off a series of spellbinding events which result in a surprising confession by Mr. Connors concerning secrets in his past.

With the 150th anniversary of John Brown's raid on Harpers Ferry this fall, this book, The Night I Freed John Brown, would be an excellent choice for young adult readers.