Uglies

When I first glanced at the book Uglies by Scott Westerfeld, I was immediately interested. The cover has a single picture, a close-up of a girl's face. If you look at the girl, you'll see that she looks like a typical, normal teenager. Well, in this book, normal isn't good enough.
Uglies takes place in a futuristic world, and follows Tally, a fifteen-year-old girl. In this world, anyone normal is considered ugly, and when sixteen you get major plastic surgery to become the government's idea of ‘pretty'. Well, one of Tally's new friends Shay, isn't sure she wants to become pretty, because she likes being an individual. Shay runs away, and Tally is forced to go find her. When Tally is out looking for Shay, she discovers the horrifying truth of what being ‘pretty' really means.
I like this book because it's sort of like a warning to our society today, of what could happen in our future. If the media continues to generalize beauty at the rate we're going, this could be us in a couple hundred years. It also shows us that being an individual and following your heart is the best option, not just doing what everyone else is doing.
Overall, I loved this book, because it really makes you think, and question everything. The whole time I was reading it, I found myself always wondering what would happen next. And if you like this book, there are three other books in the series (Pretties, Specials, and Extras), which I look forward to reading. Uglies is probably one of the best books I have ever read, I really enjoyed it, and I hope you will, too.

ZoeRocksYourBrain said...
Jun. 8, 2010 at 3:26 am
Scot PWNS! I read this and devoured the rest of his books in an instant! Although Extras fell a little flat all of his novels are incredible! His latest Leviathan is so not his style but he makes it work!

LaLaLa said...
My friend randomly pulled this book off the library shelf and said "here's your random book of the week" once he described the sunset as 'color of cat barf' I knew I would love it

mandm said...
your summary of the book was great, it didn't reveal too much and it was short. I think the book is awesome, too!

tor10jax said...
I liked the book and this review was pretty good. I don't have any real advice besides how you should say who would enjoy this book. Would a guy like it or would it be too girly for him? Do you get what I mean?

Hailey95 said...
I read this book last month, it's one of my favorites!

This is a very good review :)