Marked | Teen Ink

Marked

June 7, 2009
By SilverDawn GOLD, Burnaby, Other
SilverDawn GOLD, Burnaby, Other
10 articles 0 photos 297 comments

Looking for more vampires? Needing something to keep your Twilight craving satisfied, but you've already read the whole series like a hundred times? Say yes and I'll introduce to you another heart-squeezing series. You definitely have to read The House of Night series by P.C. Cast and her daughter Kristin Cast, which all began in the totally ah-mazing book, Marked. These books are shorter so don't worry, it won't take forever to read.
Hey, these vampires still stunningly beautiful, but are different and perhaps so much cooler, as the word is spelt with a “y”: vampyres. Ain't that nice? Anyway, spelling lessons put aside, this story is told through the voice of typical a sixteen-year-old girl, Zoey Redbird, who gets not-so-typically Marked and becomes a vampyre fledgling. Now she must let go of her human life and move in to The House of Night, a private boarding school, where she will be surrounded and taught by adult vampyres. Or else her body will reject the Change to vampyre-hood and she will die. That does sound kind of extreme but it does happen to fledglings.
Teen realism is thrown into the mix in the form of a not-very-pleasant family, a backstabbing friend, and isolation. Zoey doesn't mind leaving her family as it hasn't really been a family after her mother married John (A.K.A. “The Step-Loser”). As for her best friend, Zoey won't be missing Kayla after how she acted upon discovering Zoey's Mark. Nor will she miss humans in general as they regard her as a freak, but she definitely will enjoy missing the geometry test she was supposed to have the next day. Although she just wants to fit in in this new life, Zoey stands out as no ordinary fledgling as she has been given extraordinary powers by the vampyre Goddess Nyx. With her new fabulous friends, she must use these gifts to fulfill her destiny and restore order at The House of Night by getting a nasty, evil fledgling to stop misusing her own gift.
However, it's not all unicorns and rainbows as a little blood-sucking relationship with her human almost-ex-boyfriend complicates Zoey's already stressed-out life. Talk about more paranormal romances, which P.C. Cast is well-known for her skill at writing about. Kristin Cast made sure that the dialogue sounds teenager-ish. I guess I should warn you about mature content and language and whatnot but we're all teens, right? Not that Zoey herself swears; she's a good girl and won't be lured by peer pressure although her friends keep telling her it's okay to cuss. By the way, if you're looking for Edward Cullen, you might find that this Bella has more than one.


Similar Articles

JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This article has 18 comments.


Tonite BRONZE said...
on Oct. 9 2011 at 5:56 am
Tonite BRONZE, Toronto, Other
1 article 21 photos 27 comments

Favorite Quote:
"I am just two and two. I am hot. I am cold.
I'm the parents of number that cannot be told.
I'm a gift beyond measure, a matter od course,
And I'm yielded with pleasure - when taken by force."------Julian

ok i rate this my second favourite vampire series book ( the first is obviously vampire academy series)

and it is sooooooooooooooo awesome!!!!

witchcraft and vampires .... it has my two most favourite things in the world!!!!!!!!!!


on May. 19 2011 at 5:24 am
IAmWhoIWantToBe PLATINUM, Manila, Other
41 articles 0 photos 650 comments

Favorite Quote:
‎"I’m learning how to drown out the constant noise that is such an inseparable part of my life. I don’t have to prove anything to anyone. I only have to follow my heart and concentrate on what I want to say to the world: I run my world." - Beyoncé

I like HoN. It is actually about vampires, I mean vampyres, but there are a lot of witchcrafts in this series.

 

Heath is better than Stark--at least for Zoey.


BriBear BRONZE said...
on Sep. 15 2010 at 6:45 pm
BriBear BRONZE, LaFayette, Georgia
4 articles 18 photos 35 comments

Favorite Quote:
If i was perfect they'd have to redifine the words

definitly :) i was in love from the start

KaitlynC. said...
on Jul. 20 2010 at 11:23 pm
KaitlynC., Kennewick, Washington
0 articles 0 photos 1 comment
This series is was the second vampire series i ever read and this series made me fall even more in love with vampires.

on May. 8 2010 at 2:04 pm
ForeverGone BRONZE, Wichita, Kansas
4 articles 0 photos 1 comment

Favorite Quote:
Love is a roller coaster. It has its ups and downs and loops. Its scary at first, but it always ends, so enjoy the ride.

Okay listen, i have read all of the books and it is an amazing series. Trust me. But it is NOTHING like twilight, i read all of the twilight books and they were GROTESQUE. Do NOT compare these amazing books to that stupid twilight. The wrighter of these books should be shuned! It has NOTHING to do with the TRUE vampire story, AND she screwed up wearwolfs too! i dont care if they were a new "type" or whatever. there is only ONE type of wearwolfs. And if vampires dont drink human blood they get weak and DIE. Pearod. End of story.

on Mar. 5 2010 at 10:09 pm
katy_valentine BRONZE, Eldersburg, Maryland
3 articles 0 photos 4 comments
I really liked these books at first, but I know I really can't stand Zoe and they kind of ruined the books for me. :( Some of the wording in the review could use some work, but other than that it was very well done! You knew just what to include.

on Dec. 18 2009 at 8:48 pm
despurlock DIAMOND, Morgantown, West Virginia
79 articles 0 photos 179 comments

Favorite Quote:
"The heart has its reasons which reason does not know." -Pascal, Pensees, 1670

Great review, and as this is the first book review i've ever read on here I'm glad it was this one! I love this series!!!!

on Sep. 30 2009 at 5:46 pm
Writerzhand GOLD, Ball Ground, Georgia
16 articles 0 photos 30 comments

Favorite Quote:
I wanna carry a piece of who I was before so when I hit the wall, I REALLY hit the wall.

I love this series, its one of the few more vampire like series in there that isn't stupid. The perspective its written from is awesome, but not very deep. Typical, hahahaha. Either way, the books are great but if you're looking for something different, this isnt exactly it.

Great review tho

Sania GOLD said...
on Sep. 4 2009 at 2:46 pm
Sania GOLD, Aroura, Colorado
14 articles 0 photos 14 comments
i loved this book aswell it was a great book and im looking forward to the last one.=D <3'd it!!!! Sania.

smufius BRONZE said...
on Aug. 7 2009 at 8:11 pm
smufius BRONZE, Newport, Other
3 articles 0 photos 5 comments
this review was good it made me read the books and ive read all the ones that are out and waiting for the next, i found these books were much better than twilight

on Jul. 21 2009 at 3:53 pm
LoveLikeWoe DIAMOND, LeSueur, MN, Minnesota
54 articles 2 photos 748 comments

Favorite Quote:
Whoever laughs first has the sickest mind.

I love this series! I'm already on... Um... Oh! Chosen. Yup the third book. This is a great series! The first book is awesome second one is scary and i'm just starting the third one! I cant wait to get to the fifth one!! YAY!!

tor10jax GOLD said...
on Jul. 3 2009 at 6:02 pm
tor10jax GOLD, Livingston, New Jersey
10 articles 0 photos 143 comments
You have such a great writing style! Keep writing!

Jaquie BRONZE said...
on Jun. 29 2009 at 10:33 pm
Jaquie BRONZE, West Palm Beach, Florida
3 articles 0 photos 407 comments

Favorite Quote:
This is certainly one of my favorites: "I will become even more undignified than this, and I will be humiliated in my own eyes." -2 Samuel 6:22

Huh... Another book added to my constantly growing list... I can't wait to read it! Great review. I loved the Twilight references. Keep writing.

God bless,

...,

on Jun. 23 2009 at 8:57 pm
LoveLikeWoe DIAMOND, LeSueur, MN, Minnesota
54 articles 2 photos 748 comments

Favorite Quote:
Whoever laughs first has the sickest mind.

OMG! I so want to read this series! They have the new one out now! I dont remember what its called... oh well. But i'm so excited! I want the books so bad! AAHHGG!! Very good review!

on Jun. 22 2009 at 4:44 pm
VisionTru PLATINUM, Rochester, New York
41 articles 6 photos 28 comments
I've actually read marked before. it was pretty good.

RAWR. said...
on Jun. 15 2009 at 12:05 am
Wow, this book sounds interesting. I think I'm going to try to read it!

MOhammed said...
on Jun. 10 2009 at 2:02 am
This is a GREAT book. I love how you included the most important parts, yet you left it all a nice mystery. I LOVE THIS BOOK!

on Jun. 10 2009 at 12:39 am
SilverDawn GOLD, Burnaby, Other
10 articles 0 photos 297 comments
D; arghh, i forgot to put a blank line between paragraphs so now it looks like some long, boring waste of time and i'm sorry. but please read it anyway (: <3