The Go-Between | Teen Ink

The Go-Between

By 345505Cristian BRONZE, Houston, Texas
345505Cristian BRONZE, Houston, Texas

The Go-Between by Veronica Chambers focuses on a teenage girl whose parents are famous. As Camilla’s mom got a acting role in Los Angeles Camilla had to move schools and start fresh. A conflict rises in the atmosphere between the lies and friendships in Camilla's new school and past. In Camilla's new school the people there build up  many stereotypes. The book focuses on Los Angeles Mexicans and expands in their classification and equality to others.

The main character name is Camilla, she has always super aware about her company and the type of friends she has. During a visit to Los Angeles Camilla encounters various problems with her social life. She has broken many friendships because of how her friends react when they come over to her house and meet her mom and dad. Her dad played the voice over of Buzz Lightyear in Toy Story, and her mom starred in various famous Mexican telenovelas. Camilla has a lot of trust issues about her friendships and even has rules to what her friends must not do in order to keep them as friends. “It’s one of my rules: you can't be my friend if you ask my mother for an autograph. You can't be my friend if you take a selfie with my mom.”(Pg.15)  If Camilla suspects that of everyone she meets is a clout chaser then how does she expect to make new friends and keep them.

Entering L.A. Camilla already loved it, she had been there before and enjoyed it when she visited during the summer. Camilla came in to L.A. and started going to a new school and made new associates. She got into a high status and well rated high school where there weren't many Mexicans around and the few that were there, was because of grants. When Camilla had lunch she sat by herself and then meet some a couple of people. She met her soon to be friends called Willow and Tiggy. There was only one problem and that was that since they did not know who Camilla’s status so, they assumed that she was just another L.A. Mexican on a grant that got to go to their school. Willow and Tiggy right away started stereotyping Camilla and she went along with it because she liked being “undercover”. Plus the fact that the school was full with stereotypical people  who judge people based on their appearance or race. Willow and Tiggy assumed that Camilla came from a low income family and that her mom was a maid. Camilla got offended a lot throughout the whole semester she went to the school, but she was on the verge of getting discovered for who she really was.

As the semester went on Camilla went along with the lie and made a new friend. The only thing Camilla did not know was that her new friend, Milly already knew who her family was all about,  because she had read about her in a mexican magazine. Milly knowing who Camilla really came from, she got mad when she found out about what Camilla has been lying to her friends Willow and Tigy. At this point Milly was mad at Camilla, and refused to talk to her until she told her friends the truth about who she really represented. After losing a friend Camilla finally told Willow and Tigy the truth, and it hurt Tigy a lot more than it hurt Willow. Willow had already had her suspicions about Camilla and had wrote down all the clothing Camilla had been wearing. Tigy Finally fully forgave Camilla once she took Willow and her for lunch and paid. Right after she set the road straight with her friends. She apologized to Milly because she knew what she was leading on to provoked the wrong idea. Camilla came from a well financial supported family, while in Milly’s family her mom was a house cleaner and her dad a security all night. Milly Forgave Camilla and after a while of lying she felt good knowing everything was finally cleared up.

There are many conflicts about Camilla’s true life and who she pretended to promote, and how she thinks somethings are okay by her but not by others. She learned and grew as a person and had to change her mentality on how life can be hard for L.A. Mexicans are equal to each other.”I like having a different perspective in the mix. It’s what our whole school is about.”(Pg. 178)  When Camilla finally dropped the act, her friends weren't too happy, but they all forgave each other for being racist and stereotyping everything about Camilla, Los Angeles Mexicans, and theirselves.