The Shock of the Fall | Teen Ink

The Shock of the Fall

By TeaOnPluto PLATINUM, Dublin, Other
TeaOnPluto PLATINUM, Dublin, Other

Nathan Filer's take on children suffering with trauma and mental illness is an interesting yet complicated novel that I found slightly difficult to read.

At first glance at the blurb, I was imagining some form of crime or mystery novel, as I often pick books up second-hand and don't do any research into them before reading. So with the false expectation that this was going to be a thrilling murder case, I got very confused when it opened with a long-winded introduction into a six year old boy's average life with a slightly over-protective mother. While the story continued to somehow get more confusing the more I read, I started to somewhat understand young Matthew's character.

At this point, I have to truly say that I did lose interest, as all I knew was that this little boy's brother, who was somehow different, would die by the end of the book, and that Matthew felt responsible. About halfway through I realised that this was not a crime novel, but a child's life with diagnosed Schizophrenia and PTSD(these aren't spoilers).

Overall, after I finally understood what was going on in the book (with the help of online research) and figured out the odd switching between time, I really wasn't overwhelmed by the story. The first-person glance at a life with schizophrenia was interesting as something I'd never read before, but the cryptical mystery created by not explaining when or why things were happening just left m baffled and bored a lot of the time.

So my rating for The Shock of The Fall will be a 2/10, as I personally did not enjoy it. But that's not to say it isn't a good book, maybe you'll enjoy it...