The House on Mango Street | Teen Ink

The House on Mango Street

The House on Mango Street by Sandra Cisneros is a brilliant work. I recommend this for teens or adolescents because we can all relate to Esperanza, the main character. 

The story takes place in a poor, mostly Latino neighborhood in Chicago. Esperanza lives in an old, small apartment with her younger siblings and her parents. Her older friends like Marin teach her the reality of boys and sees with her own eyes how unhappy married women are. That's why she says: "Not a flat. Not an apartment in back. Not a man's house. Not a daddy's house. A house all my own." Together with her two best friends, they go on adventures and at the same time discover the sad  realities of the  world. My favorite parts of the story are hearing the stories of Esperanza's neighbors and the adventures she has with her friends. But not all of the story is fun and exciting. Esperanza has a more developed friend, Sally, that gets physically abused by her father and always lets boys take advantage of her. Esperanza feels empathy for her and wants to help her, but Sally doesn't want to be helped. All these things make Esperanza want to be an independent woman and have a house of her own.   

In my opinion The House on Mango Street is a very relatable and true book, you should really read this book. Teens and adolescents can really relate to Esperanza and how she feels. Even if you're not an adolescent, you'll still enjoy reading this book because it will bring back memories of your adolescence. You'll laugh as you read Esperanza's experiences and how she reacts.  

I was assigned to read this as part of a school assignment. But I loved this book and I want others to read this book too. I hope this review will encourage others to read this book.