Great Expectations Book Review | Teen Ink

Great Expectations Book Review

Great Expectations is a novel written by Charles Dickens during 1861. The book mainly talks about the three stages of the main character, Pip’s life. During the first stage, which is Pip’s childhood, he is orphan who lives with her sister and sister-in-law. Once, Pip encounters and helps a convict by stealing food from his home. His act moved the convict, which this act foreshadows his trip to London later in the story. After years, Pip is invited by Mrs. Havisham, a wealthy woman who got abandoned by her husband during her wedding day, to her house and play cards. There, he meets and falls in love with the arrogant and hostile Estella, Ms. Havisham’s adopted daughter. At this time, Pip starts to feel perplexed of his background. However, one day, he is being told that secret benefactor provides money for him to go to London, so he can be a gentleman. Pip is extremely delighted, and he assumes his benefactor must be Ms.Havisham. The second stage mainly tells about Pip’s life in London. He is influenced by the snobbish mood of the upper class. Consequently, Pip starts to live in a corruptive and luxurious lifestyle. However, it all changes when Pip finds out who his secret benefactor actually is. He is the convict who Pip helped during his childhood. The last stage of the story talks about how Pip protects the convict and finally realizes the importance of true relationships. The theme of social status and affections between people really inspire me. In book, Pip feels ashamed of his background. When Joe meets Pip in London, Pip treats him coldly and tries to make him leave. His action represents the snobbishness of the upper social class. Also, people in London were depicted as snobs who only care about money and social status. However, Pip finally realizes the importance of kinship and friendships.