A Study in Scarlet by Arthur Conan Doyle | Teen Ink

A Study in Scarlet by Arthur Conan Doyle

By ZJIMM BRONZE, Tilton, New Hampshire
ZJIMM BRONZE, Tilton, New Hampshire

In 1887, Sherlock Holmes, a fictional detective genius, is created by Conan Doyle. A series of intriguing stories follow this creation in which Sherlock Holmes solves many cases with his unique, deductive reasoning and meticulous observations. This character, however, is greatly troubled by the media in the novels, especially newspaper reports, which he believes perpetuates injustices and depicts the inequalities of the times. Specifically, in the novel A Study in Scarlet, Sherlock Holmes’ personality and social relationships suffer because of media corruption.

First, newspaper reports in the story portray a twisted version of the truth, which influences Sherlock Holmes negatively. The story of A Study in Scarlet takes place in 1887 at the end of the industrial revolution which leads to an era of technological advancement. This means that there are various means which enable people to obtain information increasingly faster. The newspaper, at the time, is the most common source of information because of its easy access and reasonable cost. The responsibility of such media is to deliver the most accurate and objective information to the public. However, unprofessionalism and irresponsibility are clearly exhibited in newspaper reports because the facts are twisted, and the tone is very subjective like the following excerpt:

The Daily News observed that there was no doubt as to the crime being a political one. The despotism and hatred of Liberalism which animated the Continental Governments had had the effect of driving to our shores a number of men who might have made excellent citizens were they not soured by the recollection of all that they had undergone. Among these men there was a stringent code of honour, any infringement of which was punished by death. Every effort should be made to find the secretary, Stangerson, and to ascertain some particulars of the habits of the deceased. A great step had been gained by the discovery of the address of the house at which he had boarded—a result which was entirely due to the acuteness and energy of Mr. Gregson of Scotland Yard.

There are crucial expressions that allude to the problem with newspaper media from the excerpt above. This was the Daily News report published when the case had not been solved yet. At that time, no one could be certain of the truth of this case, but the report states, “no doubt as to the crime being a political one”. A news office that is supposed to convey the absolute truth, publishes information that was not confirmed. This could cause unnecessary disturbances and the fear of socialism among the public. Disparagingly, it is very unprofessional to spread such disquieting ideas. Furthermore, newspaper reports also partook in the corruption caused by other authorities, demonstrated in the quote below.

If the case has had no other effect, it, at least, brings out in the most striking manner the efficiency of our detective police force, and will serve as a lesson to all foreigners that they will do wisely to settle their feuds at home, and not to carry them on to British soil. It is an open secret that the credit of this smart capture belongs entirely to the well-known Scotland Yard officials, Messrs. Lestrade and Gregson. The man was apprehended, it appears, in the rooms of a certain Mr. Sherlock Holmes, who has himself, as an amateur, shown some talent in the detective line, and who, with such instructors, may hope in time to attain to some degree of their skill.

This is a newspaper clip from the report of case solving. It is ironic that this report states that “the credit of this smart capture belongs entirely to the well-known Scotland Yard officials, Messrs. Lestrade and Gregson.”. However, the truth is opposite to what is stated. The “open secret” for reader, for instance, refers to how Sherlock Holmes cracked this mysterious case and two detectives from Scotland Yard are not being particularly helpful in the process of solving it. This report absolutely helps Scotland Yard cover up its ineptness and builds up its authority by deliberately distorting the truth. A mutually beneficial relationship of corruption between two so called authorities is clearly exhibited here.

Second, Sherlock Holmes’ personality is influenced negatively by these media reports. Specifically, Sherlock obsessively contributes his time and effort to these areas. An attic is a metaphor he used for a human’s brain and that the space is limited, so Sherlock chose very carefully what he takes into his brain. The knowledge that is practical for solving cases is profound, but he knows basically nothing about the areas that are not. He did not acknowledge even the most basic information regarding common sense such as recognition of the orbits of the solar system. In this case, he could be recognized as a societal outsider. Moreover, Sherlock is a cynic which refers to “not trusting or respecting the goodness of other people and their actions, but believing that people are interested only in themselves.” Therefore, twisted and incorrect newspaper reports shape these attitudes. He says, “I’m not sure about whether I shall go. I am the most incurably lazy devil that ever stood in shoe leather—that is, when the fit is on me, for I can be spry enough at times.”

“Why, it is just such a chance as you have been longing for.”

“My dear fellow, what does it matter to me. Supposing I unravel the whole matter, you may be sure that Gregson, Lestrade, and Co. will pocket all the credit. That comes of being an unofficial personage.”

In the quotes above, a conversation between Sherlock and doctor Watson demonstrates that the injustice and unfairness that exists in their society, including the media like newspapers, has caused Sherlock’s high unwillingness to solve the case for which he had spent so much time. Sherlock Holmes refuses to interact with people like Gregson and Lestrade who are hypocritical and self-interested, because societal corruption exists. Basically, Sherlock sees the ugly side of humanity, that people are selfish, which, again, causes him to be cynical and he isolates himself from an impure society.

Third, Watson’s presence minimizes Holmes’ cynicism. A skeptical and self-important genius like Sherlock yearns for recognition and attention, and Watson is the perfect person to assist him to achieve them because of his admiration and deep understanding of Sherlock’s personality. When Watson first meets Sherlock, he is astonished by the magical abilities of scientific deduction, and that Sherlock could determine his identity only by his appearance. Watson stands in awe of Holmes and this amazement constantly evolves into complete admiration for him as stated below:

I shall never do that,” I answered; “you have brought detection as near an exact science as it ever will be brought in this world.” My companion flushed up with pleasure at my words, and the earnest way in which I uttered them. I had already observed that he was as sensitive to flattery on the score of his art as any girl could be of her beauty.

In the quote, Sherlock is unusually happy when he receives a genuine compliment from Watson. Sherlock’s achievement is unceasingly concealed by the corrupt media, which leads him to feel that he is never appreciated. So, Watson’s appreciation of him is extremely instrumental for Sherlock because he fills Sherlock’s ego. Additionally, Watson takes a step further when he publishes the true process of case solving and that Sherlock’s talent for detection would be now known by the public. “Never mind,” I answered, “I have all the facts in my journal, and the public shall know them.” Although Sherlock cannot obtain what he deserves from the official media, Watson finds a way so that Sherlock’s achievements would eventually be praised by countless people. As a matter of fact, even after a century of publishing Sherlock Holmes’ stories, he still has an enduring popularity, and he has become the most world’s most famous literary detective. “Holmes made Doyle rich, and by the end of the century he was one of the wealthiest of British men of letters.” From this fact, Sherlock Holmes’ popularity is evident. Therefore, Watson’s presence significantly feeds Sherlock’s ego, and this minimizes the negative effects caused by the media.

The media in A Study in Scarlet has a negative influence on Sherlock Holmes himself, however, Watson helps to reduce that. The media in the nineteenth century was unprofessional and corrupt which caused Sherlock to have a cynical attitude towards society. People like Sherlock are forced to live like this, and in an environment for which they do not fit. Watson serves as a shield that protects Sherlock from the secular world and he is also the lubricant that smooths the conflicts between Sherlock and society. From my perspective, everyone is like Sherlock to some extent in that we need recognition and that the media can be detrimental. So, we all need a “Watson” to listen to us, to care, and to help us see our worth.  

This this a book review of "A Study in Scarlet".