Review of "Is Marching Band a Sport?" | Teen Ink

Review of "Is Marching Band a Sport?"

September 26, 2017
By bbusch GOLD, Defiance, Ohio
bbusch GOLD, Defiance, Ohio
10 articles 0 photos 0 comments

The writing “Is Marching Band a Sport?” written by Avery J., was very accurate about marching band being a sport and left me feeling that every other school marching band goes through the same thing. I agree very strongly with the article because marching band does have the acquirements to be a sport. I can relate because my school’s marching band deals with everyone saying the exact same thing in the article; “Marching band? That’s lame. Band kids just walk around on the field with instruments. It’s not that hard.” But what they don’t understand is the practice we do every day, just to get a song right, or do a drill perfectly in step. In the article it says, “A dictionary definition is ‘involving the use of physical skills or capabilities, such as strength, agility, or stamina.’” In band, we work on holding instruments for a long period of time without setting them down. We also multitask: marching in step all the time, while watching the tempo, and reading music with an instrument to play the music. At certain points in music, there is no place to breath to keep playing, so I’d say that marching band is a sport, considering that we work just as hard, if not harder than other athletes.