The Broadway "Blueshirts": 2014-2015 | Teen Ink

The Broadway "Blueshirts": 2014-2015

By andrewbrunetti BRONZE, Wyckoff, New Jersey
andrewbrunetti BRONZE, Wyckoff, New Jersey

Returning from a promising postseason and having to meet expectations of millions of dedicated fans is not an easy task. Being an arm’s length from the Stanley Cup and seeing it hoisted in the air by the LA Kings players must have been a sorry sight for the New York Rangers. Die-hard Rangers fans can vouch that they too felt the pain plastered on the faces of the exasperated New York players when that final buzzer went off. However, fans could not be prouder of the spectacular postseason thriller the Rags took part in. The various circumstances that the team was plagued with made the playoff run that much more magnificent to watch. Every player put forth all of their strength and effort to put on a show that would reverberate throughout the club.

Martin St. Louis, a late edition to the team, played a memorable part in the 2014 NHL Playoff run. His mother, France, had passed away of a heart attack on May 8th, twenty-two days into the postseason. St. Louis, on a struggle to score in the latter part of the regular season, lit the lantern eight times in the playoffs and led the Rangers in goals scored in the postseason. The team rallied around him and his incredible strength to soldier on after such a horrific family tragedy, supporting him every step of the way. Although the Stanley Cup Finals came to an abrupt end with a 4-1 series loss to the LA Kings, a fond yet melancholy memory of the 2014 playoffs will resonate with the Rangers franchise for years to come. However, there are still pages yet to be written in the story of the New York Rangers. What will happen next?

The question that ravages and pesters the minds of Rangers fans is what the new season will bring. Being that close to breaking the club’s twenty-year no-Stanley Cup deficit was like hanging a bone in front of a dog’s face. Blueshirt disciples are hungry for the Cup: as are the players themselves. Henrik Lundqvist, the goalkeeper for the Rangers, held his own against powerhouse Los Angeles in the five-game series, prevailing as one of the most skilled players in his position. However, his outstanding acrobatics between the posts was just not enough to take the Stanley Cup back to New York. Expectations are high for Lundqvist, and he has a strong team around him to facilitate his success. Although the Rangers did not get a lot of time to fool around on the golf course in the offseason, they had a good stretch to rejuvenate and prepare for the upcoming season.

The offseason is a time for recuperation and adjustment; in the eyes of the Rangers’ managers, coaches and staff, it was time to renew some contracts, let some players go and gather more talent for the upcoming season. Mats Zuccarello, a small yet incredibly dangerous part of the team was signed for another year with the Blueshirts. Center Brad Richards’ contract was bought out and he is now playing with the Chicago Blackhawks. As for receiving players from around the league, the Rangers signed Tanner Glass, Ryan Malone, Lee Stempniak, Matt Hunwick and Dan Boyle. These players all have experience in the NHL and will have a powerful impact on the 2014-15 squad. Dan Boyle, the veteran defenseman from San Jose, is expected to bring an offensive presence to the blue line. Right-winger Lee Stempniak and left-winger Ryan Malone should be able to bury the puck in the net, being two exceptional forwards with tremendous skill. These additions and renewals of players to the squad will pay dividends down the road of the upcoming season. Rangers fans are also happy to see a great deal of Rangers players from last year still playing in Madison Square Garden.

First-line center Derek Stepan is a large part of the team’s chemistry and a huge factor in the scoring aspect of the game. Losing him to a fractured fibula before the preseason started was a bruise that the Rangers have to work through to be successful in the coming year. Fans are excited for the regular season to start in hopes that the Broadway Blueshirts will bring home the Stanley Cup after a twenty-one-year drought. From the newly named captain Ryan Macdonough to powerhouses Derek Stepan and Rick Nash, from stone-cold defenders Dan Girardi and Dan Boyle to the brick wall in goal, Henrik Lundqvist, the Rangers will not be overlooked. This is a big year, and disappointment is just not an option for the Broadway Blueshirts. Welcome to Rangerstown!