Fast-Food Nation | Teen Ink

Fast-Food Nation

By LilWayne GOLD, Brooklyn, New York
LilWayne GOLD, Brooklyn, New York

In the article “Fast-Food Nation,” “Alison” describes all that is wrong with fast food in America in witty prose. She comes across as funny and sarcastic, highlighting all of the bad things and the ways they are seen by some. For instance, in the paragraph labeled “Convenient,” she says, “Should we be expected to refrain from eating fast food because it has stretched the waist-bands of out nation? That’s just silly.”

“Alison” goes on to explain how fast food is “kid-friendly” (it teaches important habits, like associating fatty foods with toys), “freedom” (offers fast food from every culture) “convenient” (you can maximize your calorie intake with each bite), and “economical” (you can hunt down your dinner with just a few steps to your car). Her jocular writing will surely make you laugh while thinking about your diet.
One line especially caught my eye: “Simply put, the U.S. is the greatest country on Earth, and fast food is the greatest concept we ever came up with.” “Alison” forced me to think about my food consumption in a different light. She is actually saying that fast food is deadly as well as dangerous, and the U.S. is the laughingstock of the world because of this “great” concept.