The Two Sides of Gaming | Teen Ink

The Two Sides of Gaming

May 28, 2013
By MMitchell BRONZE, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
MMitchell BRONZE, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
4 articles 0 photos 1 comment

The Two Sides of Gaming

Why They’re Good
By Sean

Why They’re Bad
By Matthew


Why They're Good


Before I begin, I would like to state that I myself believe that videogames can be good, not only good, but bad too. That’s the reason I’m here.

Video games don’t have to be bad. I agree shoot’em up games are bad, but not games that keep you moving like: games on the kinect, certain wii games, some playstation move games, etc. These games will not only keep you moving, but make you want to play more. Other games have sections to help to become smarter. Those are games like Brain Age.
I see how video games can be bad, but only if you use them in the wrong way. Other games can be bad because they influence some kids. Some people may say video games can blind you. Although they make your eyes hurt, they don’t blind you. They train your brain to do many things at once. For example, Call of Duty (any in the franchise) has you pay attention to everything happening on the screen. Two people could be coming at you from two different angles, and you have to guard from both. Just make sure you can see the positive and negative effects of gaming.
Kids these days are all about playing the video games, but how is it affecting their lives? Kids need at least sixty minutes of activity a day, and with these video games, that rule has slowly began to disappear.

Why They're Bad

Before video games, kids were always outside playing popular sports, such as football, baseball, and basketball. But at the time when the first idea of video games by Thomas T. Goldsmith and Estle Ray Mann, the numbers of kids being outside started to go down. With the full entertainment of kids, video games swept the nation by storm and kids weren’t going outside anymore. This lead to kids becoming obese.
48.5% of all kids in the U.S. are obese because they eat too much and don’t work it off. A lot of that reason is because video games. If kids were getting outside and playing games more, they would have a lower chance of being obese. But with video games preoccupying them, they sit and eat all day and don’t have any way to work it off.
This is why I think that video games can be a really bad thing. Sure, they are fun and give you a great time. I play video games all the time myself. But kids just need to get out and play more often.







The Post-Essay Debate Between Authors

Sean: Why do you think video games are bad?

Matt: Well I like video games myself, but my essay describes why they can be bad for children.

Sean: I like video games, thats why I’m here to prove that they can be good.

Matt: Well, video games keep kids from going outside and getting the exercise they need in a day. Why do you think that ever since video games came out that the U.S. population became more and more obese?

Sean: I don’t know, but I myself know they can be good... and bad. I’m trying to show the world that if you use video games right, they can make you: stronger, smarter, better with hand eye coordination, etc. This shows you how it prepares you for adulthood.

Matt: It’s true that some games can help you with the things you mentioned, but the thing is that most kids don’t like that, they like the first person shooters and games like that. They don’t like the activity or helpful things video games can do for you.

Matt: And even if people use the games that help you and your brain, it can never be the same as hands-on experiences and again, you still don’t get the same activity as you do outside.

Sean: Scientists are working on virtual games that will interest people into exercise. I read this in a popular science article.

Matt: Believe what you want to, but no matter what, video games are going to be bad for kids in more ways than one.

Sean: Well yes if you get too much of it. I came here to show you the wonderful things that it could do, so I intend to have it my way.

Matt: I agree that video games can help in different ways, and I think we have come to a conclusion that video games are good and bad. Am I correct?

Sean: Yes, this is a valid consensus.

Matt: So this arguments is over?

Sean: I believe so.


The author's comments:
Me and my friend Sean decided we wanted to make some kind of collaborative essay, but were having trouble thinking of one. Until our teacher, Mr. Mannix, told us we should do an argument essay. We both agreed it was a cool and creative idea, so we wrote about the pros and cons of video games.