"How I Changed for the Better" | Teen Ink

"How I Changed for the Better"

November 3, 2011
By CamiS101 SILVER, Monticello, Illinois
CamiS101 SILVER, Monticello, Illinois
5 articles 0 photos 0 comments

I thought that Jonathan Dow did a great job writing “How I Changed for the Better.” This article was featured in the October issue of Teen Ink. The story is about Jonathan attending a school seminar on bullying. During this seminar, a man talks about his son, Ryan Halligan going from a happy kid to a very awkward teen. Ryan then committed suicide because he was bullied and didn’t feel like he was needed in the world.

When I read this article I felt very frustrated knowing that people get hurt all the time while others think it’s just a simple harmless joke. When Jonathan went into the gym he thought that it was going to be a waste of his time. He soon changed his mind and took everything very seriously. I hope that if my school would ever have a speaker like that, we would all take it just as seriously as Jonathan did. He said that his thoughts suddenly changed from “thinking of homework” to “a feeling of concern and a slight sense of guilt.” As soon as I read to this point in the article, I was overwhelmed with how much it could relate to everyone. I bet everybody has said something mean or hurtful about or to someone else, if they realize it or not. Thank you Jonathan for writing a very nice story that mostly anyone can learn a lesson from.