Unbiased review of the Xbox 360 and PS3 | Teen Ink

Unbiased review of the Xbox 360 and PS3

By Connor13 SILVER, Marshfield, Massachusetts
Connor13 SILVER, Marshfield, Massachusetts

"The sky is the limit"

I have read many reviews concerning the debate between two video game consoles; Xbox 360 and PS3. Most of these reviews are very biased and one sided, I intend to write this review in the most unbiased way. Personally, I don’t own either of the consoles but have played them and believe they are both great. I am truly sorry if anyone who reads this believes that I favor one console over the other, that being said I will start my review.

The Xbox 360 and PS3 are two amazing consoles no matter how you look at it; both consoles have their pros and their cons but are great nonetheless.

The Xbox 360 is a gaming console that has many features; some of these include: online gaming with other players around the world, ability to play with friends, a market to buy media or video games, up to four player split-screen, HDMI compatibility, ability to talk with headsets, and much more.

From my experience with playing the Xbox 360, I found game play to be very smooth and it had very little lag. Many people own the Xbox 360 so there is a good chance someone you know plays it, which gives you the ability to play with them over the internet. The controllers felt strange to me at first, but after a few minutes they felt great.

Like everything in this world, the Xbox 360 has some cons:
-Live Membership is not included
-No Blu-Ray player
-Hardware Failure percentage is a bit high

Here are my biggest pros:
-Many people own an Xbox 360, so you can play with more friends or family
-Controllers have a nice design
-Ability to purchase media and video games using Microsoft Points (Money converted into points that can be used to purchase things)
-High Quality Headset compatible

The PS3 is very much similar to the Xbox 360 but is still different in some ways.

PS3s offer: online gaming with other players around the world, ability to play with friends, a market to buy media or video games, up to four player split-screen, HDMI compatibility, ability to talk with headsets, just like the Xbox 360.

Now there are two huge debates between Xbox 360s and PS3s; Blu-Ray compatibility, and Live memberships.

Blu-Ray discs can hold more memory and supposedly hold better graphics. From my experience I cannot tell the difference between a game on the Xbox 360 from a game on the PS3. One thing I do know that differs about Blu-Ray discs from discs for the Xbox 360, is that Blu-Ray discs are very scratch-resistant; I know that some DVDs that I own are useless because of scratches, so this could be an advantage PS3 has over Xbox 360. Of course if someone takes good care of an Xbox 360 game it should not scratch.

Now on to live memberships, live memberships for the Xbox 360 are needed if someone wants to play a game online against other players. Live memberships can be purchased at many stores or ordered with a credit card (I believe).

On the PS3; live memberships (A.K.A play station network memberships) are included with the purchase of a PS3.

I know people who own an Xbox 360 say that the price of a live membership is worth it because there are more people on the servers than PS3, and because people fund the servers through live memberships, the servers are very stable.

PS3 Cons:
-Some do not like the feel of the controllers
-Less people play PS3
-Lag tends to be a bigger issue on the PS3

PS3 Pros:
-Free PSN (Play Station Network) membership
-Games printed on Blu-Ray discs
-Ability to purchase things through PSN online store
-Also headset compatible
-Lower Hardware Failure rate than Xbox 360

After reading many reviews debating the pros and cons of the PS3 and the Xbox 360, I decided to write this due to the fact that everyone seemed very biased when talking about these two gaming consoles. I'm sorry if something was written incorrectly.

5020 said...
on Jan. 6 2015 at 7:30 am
Good but it ended rather quick...